Hello good fossil folks... and ID help

Y

ya old fossil

Hello everyone, I am new to fossils and new to the forum.

I found some fossil rich rocks, but the fossils so far are all very small. I have found a few sharks teeth, and some snails. All smaller than a dime. I have also run into a few things that I do not recognize. I am hoping one of you experianced fossil hunters could help me ID them, or at least help direct me where to start my research.

Whatzit?
bublstash.JPG

Also, any advice how to remove some of these fragile teeth from a limestone/silicon matrix?

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure-Net,
I would suggest a good fossil book for starters, & if you
can use a chisel & hammer to work the matrix down smaller
you can at least, get some specimens to keep,
And the small fossils may pop out, I often chisel out
petrified wood from the host stone, by hitting close to the
wood.

HH, Fossis................

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Is there any way to put your items on a solid colored background and retake the photos? It's hard to distinguish characteristics from your photos as they are.

Also, what area are you finding your items in? Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember something about some very small mammal fossils being found that rekindled the dinosaur timeline debate.

OP
OP
Y

ya old fossil

I found these in Hot Springs county, AR. From what I understand, the area was all ocean when these fossils were living.

These are pretty small items, The one on the dime I dug out of the matrix. I will try to retake the pictures tonight. I used the dime to convay size. The object looks like a mini bubble with a mustache. I Suspect it is a fish tooth from a herbavore or shellcracker.

The other object is still in the matrix, so I can't really change the background. It is so small and fragile, I am afraid to try to dig it out.

old fossil

OP
OP
Y

ya old fossil

new pics of the micro object..

I am really pushing the limits of my camera with the 5mm object...a bit more detail. Use earlier picture for scale.

Thanks,
YOF

Attachments

• IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0653.JPG
    IMG_0653.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0650.JPG
    IMG_0650.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 303

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Thank You for photographing it against the solid background. It looks like a seed pod of sorts.looks like a tiny skull with teeth of sorts. Is there a hole in the back where a spinal cord would be?

Yes that area is rich with fossils.

OP
OP
Y

ya old fossil

I do not see anything that looks like it could be a spinal opening.

Now I feel like I am making progress. I haven't thought of a seed pod. Since I have no idea what it is, it is difficult to research. At least now I have a plce to try to start.

The closest things I can find that resembles it are in the next two pictures. There is a crease in my fossils "dome" like a rounder screw for a flathead screwdrive... but otherwise it looks like....

2005_09%20scrubbing%20bubble.jpg

unlikelypart8.jpg

Since I doubt it is a scubbing bubble fossil, I am wondering if there are ever 3D fossiles found of jellyfish. BUT, I would think their bodiest are too soft to make anything but a flat fossil. It is also smaller than I imagine a baby jellyfish being.

Thanks for the input.

YOF

OP
OP
Y

ya old fossil

Fossis,

It took me about 8 hours to scrape and dig that little fossil out. The matrix is as hard as the little fossils. I have spent countless hours digging out 20+ shark teeth, and I have 3 unbroken teeth to show for it. None have just popped out for me. most are burried so deep only a tiny tip is sticking out.

I have tried my first muratic acid bath, but I haven't had the fortitude to let them bathe for more than a few hours. There has to be an easier way, or maybe I need to find place to search that has softer matrix material.

Thanks for the advise.

YOF

Attachments

• IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 292
OP
OP
Y

ya old fossil

I found it. It seems to be some sort of sting ray tooth....

StingRayTeeth.jpg

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Ah yes, have one of those myself.

"...maybe I need to find place to search that has softer matrix material..." ;D Yeah! Tell those fossils to use softer materials next time!

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
y a f,

great detective work, i was gonna say ray plate. none of mine look like that though. the proof pic you presented seems to have a dozen with the ridge in the middle. maybe a particular ray? the "protrudeus buck toothus ray"

hey, also- looks like those teeth were fossilized in a dark colored sediment, then river smoothed before being cemented in that pesky matrix.

I'll bet these tiny peices have quite a story to tell, if you really wanted to dig that deep.

take care,
thomas

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some things are worth more (in the matrix), such as
some of the ammonites found in Africa, Gold in Quartz,
sharks teeth, trilobites, etc.

HH, Fossis............

OP
OP
Y

ya old fossil

I went out this morning looking for a bit. Found a couple of interesting things (for a newB). I will take some pictures tomorrow. One may be another ray tooth.

Interesting that shark teeth would be more valuable in a matrix. If only I had the talent to expose them. BTW, The biggest one I have found in my area was about 1/3 of an inch long... but I am still looking.

YOF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread