Hello - Introduction

cape3

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
Southeast
Hello Everyone,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I am a 38 y/o father of 2 girls, living in the southeast. I wish I had started doing this earlier, but I have been CRH (halves only) for the past 5 months or so. I love collecting coins, mostly have been doing so for the numismatic value, like Morgans Merc's, and Walkers (top 3), but then I came across this website and remembered that my older brother used to do this in college to make xtra money. I decided to take a stab at it and and started with 1 box (double stacked brinks) and as a few of you have mentioned before there really is something to this "beginners luck". Before I opened the box I got my 15 y/o daughter to sit down at the kitchen table with me and go through them. Well, dream box it was. I know I am a first time poster and hope to not insult anyone's intelligence and be accused of "tall tales" here, but dream box it was. I had as I recall about 7 enders. My daughter and I opened them and it seemed there might have been about 5 rolls that had nothing. I ended up with about 4 1/2 rolls of 40% and about 18-90% - about a quarter of those were Walkers. As you can probably tell, I was hooked.

I went to 2 boxes, and only found about 2 of each (40% and 90%) so I was brought down to reality real quick. I was lucky and found a great box, but had not hit a goldmine. I read posts from SilverCop and Mr. Hartford, and realized many people were moving much more volume than I was. So I doubled it, and went to 4 boxes, I think I skunked about 3 and pulled maybe 5-40%, I went to 8 boxes, and completely skunked out. (did not know that was possible) I read posts from obediah and decided to use a little strategy, so before I returned them I ordered 12 boxes and hopefully with the 8 I had not returned I would have hit some paydirt. Well, not really, I found NIFC's and now have a set from 2002-2010, I found Obama halves (gold dipped and painted with picture on front), a few proofs (only silver proof was a single 1969) clad: 1974,76,81,95, and a few 2002 - 2009. I found maybe 2 - 40% silvers and then 2 things that should not be found (or I had thought not) I had a (I would think form the ANA grading book) G-4 1921-s Walker, and an unbelievable Stone Mountain Comm. I am still wondering how that got there, it seemed like someone just deposited a collection or something. Since then I have mostly skunked out, doing only 4 boxes a week as the 8 and 12 was really hard to do and go through.

Not trying to be long winded but I have seen some crazy markings and wonder who these people are:

Red line in the back of Kennedy's head
Blue dot in his ear
Some restaurant sticker (red) i think from fla, pizza maybe) on the reverse.
Black X across the obverse
Green Slash across the obverse
Machine drilled holes (like people used to do to wear one as jewelry, mostly older coins not kennedy's)
and the most frequesnt of all (sort of annoying) they put 3 black lines on the edges like you undo a roll and there is no silver 3 so they put 3 black sharpie lines striaght down the edges of the rolls. I have seen literally thousands of halves like this.

Hee Hee, any one want to fess up on any of those?

Well, I just wanted to introduce myself and throw a little back story about my adventures doing this and a few of my findings. I appreciate the pointers I have read from your posts in the past and as for the question a while back about culling silver, I do not think they (brinks, loomis) do, but have had a few tellers (open some boxes to make sure they were all there)

Take care, happy hunting and hopefully we all get better boxes in the future.

- C

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net cape.

I too have seen plenty of black, red and blue markings on coins. I try to mix it up and paint the edges silver on my skunks. :D Ooo, that would be cruel. :evil7:

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape3,
Welcome to the site.
I lurked around a good bit before posting and am still only put up an occasional post or comment. But I hit the site every day. I learn a lot from the good folks who do post a lot, and I celebrate their finds with them, mostly silently.
Keep pulling those boxes and the silver will appear. I found a Stone Mountain Comm just a few weeks ago. It was a real special find. I get a big kick from the Walking Liberty coins when they turn up too.
Best of luck in the future.
Steve

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Welcome. What area of the Southeast are you? From the description of the markings I have seen many of those you have listed. I have not found any of the Obama halves yet and really don't care to. I don't believe in marking coin so it def. was not me. Good luck and HH.

Golden Silver

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Welcome to the madness. You don't read too many of my posts, but I've been at this for a long time. Don't be discouraged, the summer is usually a slow time. With the additional competition, the boxes aren't being replenished as fast. Just keep plugging away, and don't be hesitant to change up the strategy. I hope you aren't searching the Ormond/Daytona area. I dump about 30k a month there.

OP
OP
C

cape3

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
Southeast
30K is a tremendous amount. I will be consistant, but not that much at a time. Wow. Well, I am in Georgia. I did not even know they had Obama halves, thought it was funny. I do not care for it, but it is the only one I have seen so I put it face down (golden side up) so I have it, just do not have to look at it. :) About the markings, I have seen rolls where half are marked and there are silver in-between, so things are definitely getting mixed up pretty well.

Side note - anyone have or know how old an L.C. Murray 3Troy Oz. poured bar is? I have been trying to find some information on it (I only have 1) as it just looks quite old.

Thanks.

- C

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Lots of various markings on coins. I seem to get the same ones over and over again.

Happy Silver Hunting.

apush :read2:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Welcome.

I had a dream box early on and had the good sence to capture the moment with my cell camera. and was able to share with the good people of Tnet. after I joined this forum over 2 years ago.

I had some of the beginners luck myself. I was doing roadtrips and cold calls for several months with some success, and tellers would ask me if I wanted to order boxes. I balked at the idea untill a teller informed of how another customer disposed of them at anoteher bank with a coin counter
( I was at the time rerolling and deposited at my primary bank... P.I.T.A)
So I finally orderd my first boxes. I started with 2 and within the first month of ordering boxes I hit a super duper Dream Box. over 200 keepers and most of them were Walkers and Franklins. give or take a few. Well I upped my orders and banks that I orderd from and have since been doing 10 to 15 boxes a week for the last 4 years. Link to my story

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,147287.0.html

This year by far at the 1/2 way mark of 2010 is the worst. Im finding stuff but I'll be lucky to match 1/2 of what I did last year.

Thanks for sharing and dont be afraid to post small finds. I have cut back on posting myself and only post sparingly. We love photo's here.

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Welcome to the forum. I get the same marked coins up here in CT.
Good luck and Happy Hunting !
Rich

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
NICE BOX!!! very nice score!!! PS when i first began crh'ing, i used to mark my coins w/ a big blue "N" in sharpie. if any one finds any of those, please pm me just so i know how far they are going :laughing9: no seriously. but if u find a coin w/ blue sharpie that says "be kind, rewind", i only made one of those, so if u find that pm me also :laughing9:, it might be valuable! :tongue3:
PSPS i too get those halves w/ the three/two red/blue/black lines on the edges...alotta them too...a LOT! thanks for sharing ur finds, and happy 4th!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions