HELLO JUST PURCHASED MY FIRST METAL DETECTOR 5000D SERIES 2 NO MANUAL TO SET IT?

JTDIGZ

Apr 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! :occasion14:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard JTDIGZ! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going old school analog. Cool. I own on old Whites analog but, have never used it. It will find you stuff for sure. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had me a Whites 5000D SII way back in the early 80's, and it's
one heck of a machine.

Ground balance is critical (see manual for how to do that) and with
that machine the faster you're moving that coil over the ground the
deeper it hunts, and the better the discrimination.

I had mine hip-mounted, and had an extension on the shaft so I could really
get that coil hauling arse. Be sure to practice proper sweeping though, and
keep that coil just barely off the ground in a level sweep.

It will take you some time to really learn how to tweak the settings so it's
just right, but it's worth the effort.

Congrats!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you have found the manual and figured out your settings, please take a few minutes and learn how to dig plugs in the ground.

FYI, shovels are not allowed anywhere but your back yard and farmers fields.

Use a garden trowel to dig holes, or a screwdriver to pop them out, or a hori hori knife or other digging tools sold by our sponsors, but never anything bigger than a hand tool in a public space.

After you've don't that, then spend some time looking for stuff in your own backyard so you can learn the machine. Learn roughly where the target is under your coil, so you know where to dig a hole and retrieve your find with minimal damage.

After that get a shopping bag, or a digging pouch, or something to carry both your finds and your trash out of your hunting area.

This is a great hobby with little problems if people just learn to follow some rules.

Also be prepared to go hours and hours with finding more bottle caps, pull tabs, ring pulls then you could ever imagine, and very little silver and gold.

The TV detectorists lie, and the YouTube videos you watch only show the few minutes of good digs/finds, and not the hours upon hours of trash that the real world digs.

Not trying to discourage you, just give you the facts that most of us know already.

We are a good group of people, with a lot of knowledge and experience, so if you need anything don't be shy.

And lastly...........Good Luck and Happy Hunting (GL & HH).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread