firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome , what type of detecting are you interested in? It will help determine the detector and equipment you get.
Good luck hunting!

OP
OP
Naruhina

Naruhina

May 25, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver (Used)
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my Yard, Possibly even Saltwater as I live next to a river. But unsure really.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres a store in fla. called Kellyco - its the walmart of detector stores - everything for every type
don't know if youre close to it or not - you can look it up on line

OP
OP
Naruhina

Naruhina

May 25, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's rather far from Me. and I wouldn't really know what to get, Rather just buy online.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As for equipment and gear....

metal detector
headphones
digging tool
pin pointer
finds pouch

Those are the basics. But you'll find that avid hunters often have several different detectors, tools, and all kinds of set-ups based on the detectorist's "evolution" in the hobby. It can get expensive.

One thing of note: There's always a "better" detector out there. Just because you have a $2500.00 CTX doesn't mean you aren't thinking about picking up a different brand. The very best detector is the one in the hands of a very experienced user. There's plenty users here making great finds with inexpensive machines.

You need to determine what your budget is. It could get out of control.

Of importance then is the type of detecting you're interested in. You're in the geriatric state (Florida), so I assume you'll be interested in beach hunting - very important in your selection. Popular detectors like the Garrett AT Pro do not perform well in salt water.

I'd say be patient, study here reading threads, and monitor Craigslist for sale forums (but be careful = Danger Will Robinson!), and also look at the for sale forum here. Ask questions! Answers will vary, but over all you'll get a better feel.

And this hobby isn't easy at all. If you want to find the good stuff, you'll dig the trash.

Here's a good example of the amount of trash you'll dig:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/503606-today-s-finds-yesterday-second-gold-year.html

Maybe in your case it might be helpful to "rent" a detector to use first. Obviously this hobby ain't for everyone and you won't find out until you try.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard , part of the hobby is research- read and watch videos-good luck :icon_thumleft:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Naruhina

Naruhina

May 25, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for equipment and gear....

metal detector
headphones
digging tool
pin pointer
finds pouch

Those are the basics. But you'll find that avid hunters often have several different detectors, tools, and all kinds of set-ups based on the detectorist's "evolution" in the hobby. It can get expensive.

One thing of note: There's always a "better" detector out there. Just because you have a $2500.00 CTX doesn't mean you aren't thinking about picking up a different brand. The very best detector is the one in the hands of a very experienced user. There's plenty users here making great finds with inexpensive machines.

You need to determine what your budget is. It could get out of control.

Of importance then is the type of detecting you're interested in. You're in the geriatric state (Florida), so I assume you'll be interested in beach hunting - very important in your selection. Popular detectors like the Garrett AT Pro do not perform well in salt water.

I'd say be patient, study here reading threads, and monitor Craigslist for sale forums (but be careful = Danger Will Robinson!), and also look at the for sale forum here. Ask questions! Answers will vary, but over all you'll get a better feel.

And this hobby isn't easy at all. If you want to find the good stuff, you'll dig the trash.

Here's a good example of the amount of trash you'll dig:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/503606-today-s-finds-yesterday-second-gold-year.html

Maybe in your case it might be helpful to "rent" a detector to use first. Obviously this hobby ain't for everyone and you won't find out until you try.

Thank's for the Info, My Budget isn't the best. But People always invite me to the Beach and such, I don't like swimming there so it would be cool to Detect and Go just to hang out. and Thank you everyone for the Welcomes.

OP
OP
Naruhina

Naruhina

May 25, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking around and I found this one. http://smile.amazon.com/Bounty-Hunt...306326&ref_=sr_1_2&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-2-spons

It comes with an Indicator but I don't want to spend TOO Much as I'm inexperienced. Was going to Order it but I figured I would wait and let someone skilled see and Hopefully get some thoughts. I have Prime which is why I decided to use Amazon. (Free 2 Day Shipping) I mainly want it for Yards/Rivers/Beach but Mainly Ground. Any thoughts?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

That's a Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, a name I've often seen on TNet. Bounty Hunter has been around for many years and has kind of a fan following. I owned a couple Bounty Hunters 35 years ago. The thing about Bounty Hunter is that they work. There are many users here who can tell you a lot more about the Quick Silver than I can. I suggest you start a new thread - separate from this thread - specifically asking for input on the Quick Silver.

If later you upgrade to a new detector, you'd have a back up, and could likely sell it for about what you paid for it to begin with. It's likely not waterproof, so you would need to keep it out of the water. I don't know how good it would be on the salt water beaches.

If you decide on the Quick Silver, you'll still need earphones, a carry case, digging tools - and a pin pointer, though not a necessity - but saves you a heck of a lot of time finding the targets.

There is a fairly recent thread by a user utilizing a Harbor Freight detector & pin pointer - all together less than $100, with room for a digging tool. I can't find it right now, but I remember a recent thread where the user actually did quite well.

Metal Detector
9 Function Metal Detector

You can do more research on them here. History says that the pin pointer will require modification of the switch (seems the switch fails often), but it works well until you need to do the fix.

Salt water beaches are a different story, but that's generally the place to find the gold jewelry - but don't expect to find anything like gold every time you go hunting. I gave my cousin my Garrett Ace 250. On his first time using, his first signal was a quarter. His second signal was a 10k gold ring. I don't know whether the Quick Silver or the Harbor Freight detectors can handle salt water beaches.

I've never been lucky. Just hard work and putting the time in and the glint of gold does occasionally pop out of the ground. The last gold ring I found was in 1987 or thereabouts. Does that deter me, bother me?

NOPE!

There is a heck of a lot of fun in this hobby, and always a chance for pure delight.

Keep the faith!

OP
OP
Naruhina

Naruhina

May 25, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, I'll do as you suggest and make a topic about it. I'm very eager and Already wanting to get out there. Even if all I find is junk, Be fun to do it. (Plus cleans up the area)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There are quite a few Floridian treasure hunters here. Stick around, you'll make friends, be entertained, get the fever, and learn a whole lot.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet! The lower end units will work in the dry sand, but will chatter in the wet sand due to the salt mineralization. If I can answer any questions for you, please give me a call.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread