Hello to all from Montana newbie here ,sorta !

weaselguys

Aug 27, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello to all I live in Montana but am originally from Calif (Plumas Co) I am getting back into prospecting and have bought my first metal detector for it .I grew up around mining in Plumas co ,lived in Quincy and spent a lot of time around the middle fork of the feather river ,Belden ,Rich Bar ,Taylorsville and other places. My grandpa Frank was a panner ,I learned from my grandpa Charlie who used to run a panning both in the Plumas Co fair ,he mined for years at the Hardscrabble mine above the middle fork ,he's cabin at the mine was on the opening page of the sept 1973 National Geographic story about mining Golden ghosts of the lost sierra ,he also mined with my father at the Hazard Mine .My father used to take me to Elizabeth town to see a old miner who made cider and mined for years looking for a collapsed mine with chinamen with pockets full of gold still inside. This site has brought back a lot of memories and made me think about the things I grew up with around the house ,carbide lamps,kiln ,mercury cylinder ,rock crushers. I dipped my first pan in 35 years last month and was amazed at what Iv'e forgotten ,my panning sucks now ,I didn't reckonize mica when I saw it and I'm not sure if I know what gold even looks like now .I checked a small amount I had at home but my metal detector dosen't see it could I have been packing pyrite around all this time ,my grandpa's would be disappointed. I will try to post a pick of it.

Attachments

• DSCF2807a.jpg
    DSCF2807a.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 73

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy to tell just stick a pin into it, if it shatters its not gold, if it sticks its gold. Gold also holds a true color no matter which way you tilt your pan, mica wont.

OP
OP
W

weaselguys

Aug 27, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried that on some of the large pcs and the pin wouldn't stick, I have put it in water and it looks better now and after playing with my detector it now sounds off over it.

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're doing great. Where in Montana are you? Don't worry, I live in Texas and won't steal your gold. Just wondering.

OP
OP
W

weaselguys

Aug 27, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
South central Mont ,but the gold in the picture came from Plumas Co Calif.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread