Help!!!! About to give up "Update"

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself
Re: Help!!!! About to give up "Update"

It isn't about having the best machine it's about being at the right place and time.

When I go out I never expect to find great things I always take it in stride and drink a few while I'm swinging believe me you will find this hobby is more relaxation than finding Big Time finds.

Enjoy as Swing! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
capt. sparrow

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

I can't figure out how to shrink the picture. The soldier is really heavy and about 2.5 inches. it registered as a pull tab. Fields are cool, etle tasy digging and very little trash so you can dig everthing. Found a huge bottle dump to. Looks like 40's and 50's stuff. The field goes back at least 100 maybe 200 years.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

capt. sparrow said:
I can't figure out how to shrink the picture. The soldier is really heavy and about 2.5 inches. it registered as a pull tab. Fields are cool, etle tasy digging and very little trash so you can dig everthing. Found a huge bottle dump to. Looks like 40's and 50's stuff. The field goes back at least 100 maybe 200 years.

The first things to be hunted to death are always things like old city parks and such - once you move on to farm fields, if you can get some good research under your belt, the odds are more in your favor to find unhunted sites.

Sounds like you've found a great spot with the bottle dump - I don't really know anything at all about bottles, but maybe a quick bit of reading can give you an idea of what to look for there - otherwise I'd just take anything that looks cool :)

Have fun

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique

The soldier is nice, looks positively British. Any sort of makers mark on him?

OP
OP
capt. sparrow

capt. sparrow

Jan 23, 2007
North Shore Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

joecoin said:
The soldier is nice, looks positively British. Any sort of makers mark on him?

Haven't cleaned him up yet. Buying a toothbrush tonight to see if I can find any markings. He was 4 inches deep in a cellar hole.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i found just the soldier feet once......cool

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jorge del norte said:
i found just the soldier feet once......cool

OT - Jorge, that's weird, I just rented the movie your avatar is from!

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[size=13pt]Hey Sparrow,

Nice find on the soldier. You'll get other goodies, don't worry, they will come to you.

I was in the same funk as you once. Don't sell your detector when you get a bad streak. Just take out the batteries and store it in a safe location. Then when the urge strikes you again you won't be kicking yourself and saying "Why did I ever get rid of that detector?". Just go to it, put in the batteries and off you go.

This is a great hobby we have. In over 30 years of detecting I've never found the glitz and glamour jewelry other have, but I enjoy it because of the hunt. To me it's not what you find it's what are you going to find. Ah, the thrill of the hunt.

Fozzy

Dec 11, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and Classic III

Like others have noted, it's all about patience.

Get creative in where you search. Here's a suggestion for you- and not far from you either. Lynn Woods. Get off the beaten path. I know that some folks have found quite a bit of old silver there.

Your detector is just fine. I have a Whites Classic III- My first machine. I found a 1788 8 reale piece at 7" and a 1930 SLQ at 6" in the same day on two neighboring properties in Harvard, Ma. I now have a Whites DFX and a Minelab Excaliber II in addition to the Classic III and I've yet to beat that 8 reale.

Attitude is everything- Like Mel Fisher said: "Today is the day."

Good luck and hit me up if you want to get together for a hunt some time. bmlfozzy "at" yahoo.com

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts

I've been feeling the same way, Capt. Sparrow. I'm thinking the fresh water beaches might be a better place to hunt. Especially in the water. I live near Cape Ann also. I don't know of any good leads around here yet.

capt. sparrow said:
I have been metal detecting for about two years with little or no luck. I haven't found anything significant in a year and I am about to give this up all together. I have this coming weekend all to myself and I am going out rain or shine. Can somebody give me any leads whatsoever
please..... I know this is a big ask and I probably won't get any responses but I thought I'd try before I put this thing on e bay. PM's are welcome, hell anything is welcome. I live on cape ann and am willing to drive a couple hours. I have to hope someone has a lead within 100 miles of me.

Golden1

Bronze Member
May 2, 2008
Pittsfield ma
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM IV,Whites M-6

Never give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Persistence pays off ;D

G1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread