Help, and info! PLEASE!!

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several items, need to know if the Celt has been altered. 397134_2345212239039_1077333123_n.jpg

Can anyone tell me if this is just a rock? native3.jpg

close1.jpg What type of point is the Middle one? Are the other 2 scrapers? native2.jpg

Very cool Adze! 375267_2345217279165_1505687810_n.jpg

native4.jpg I think this is a potery fragment.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need some more info....where ist the point from? How did you come to have these items? Are they from one collection of the same tribe? What makes you think the celt might have been altered?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The pic makes a call hard. I, personally, don't see any alteration to the Celt, but only half of it is visible. The second pic looks like stone beads that pop up once in a while here.

image-3924988096.jpg

image-2489393496.jpg

The small point looks "fluted" is it?

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont have a clue where they are from, found some in a box in my girlfriends grandmothers basement, also found what i think is a copper rat tailed spearhead, in a bookcase drawer in the same basement. i have other items i need help with and just tell me what angles i need to photograph. The lines on the celt if you can see them in the photo look like vice marks, and someone said it looked like some grinding was done on the narrow end.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the thing you are calling a bead, feels heavy, but you can tell the material is porus.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
those marks you see could be from bindings....don't think a vice would do that, not on a stone that has such a curve to it. they all look like the real deal to me, most people don't try to fake field grade.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
BadAdze said:
Also the thing you are calling a bead, feels heavy, but you can tell the material is porus.

I'm not sure that it is a bead. The one that I have in its complete form is light. I'm sure it is a bead. The other in my post is heavy and like yours doesn't go all the way around. I feel that they are man made, but I'm no expert! Far from expert!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
BadAdze said:
I think it is fluted , although i dont have anything to compare it with. Do you need better photos?

If at all possible. It looks to be a transitional point. But don't quote me. I put it out there so others would tune in. If you need attention on here, post some dubious info. , replies will come out of the sky!lol! I love you guys, you know that.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The "rust" looking lines on the Celt look like someone may have had it hafted in recent years. Does not make the stone fake at all. To me, it looks like someone could have had wire around it and the wire rusted. Can you lick your finger and wipe it off ? I know that sounds strange, but if it is a light layer of rust, the stone won't bind to it. It should clean easy.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Point in question is a Triangle Point and from a much later culture than Paleo. More than likely a Madison or Hamilton and dates from around 1000 to 1650 AD.

The one stone is not a Bead and is just a natural formation.

The marks on the Celt could just be a natural line in the material or like NC said they are from someone securing it to a board with wire which was a common practice years ago, but I'm sure they are not marks from "lashings".

The other two flint/chert pieces are either Scrapers or Preforms. Hard to tell without pictures from different angles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks reaper, the information just makes me want to absorb all i can about this area of collecting, ill upload more pictures of lots of angles. The lines on the Celt go all the way around, continuously. As far as the point, would that type be fluted? From what i have read that meant it was a little thiner at the bottom for attaching it to the arrow shaft, correct?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen Triangle Points with what look to be thinning flakes on the base. but they aren't fluted in the same sense that Paleo Points are.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The Grim Reaper said:
The Point in question is a Triangle Point and from a much later culture than Paleo. More than likely a Madison or Hamilton and dates from around 1000 to 1650 AD.

The one stone is not a Bead and is just a natural formation.

The marks on the Celt could just be a natural line in the material or like NC said they are from someone securing it to a board with wire which was a common practice years ago, but I'm sure they are not marks from "lashings".

The other two flint/chert pieces are either Scrapers or Preforms. Hard to tell without pictures from different angles.

Hey Reap! I'm asking here, not doubting your input on badadze's 2nd pic. Couldn't it be used in working sinew?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to hold it to see if there is any wear or polish inside the curve, but from what I can see on the picture it is a natural stone.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any better?

celt1.jpg
celt2.jpg