** HELP ** Buying a Water Detector - What is the Best One? Thank you

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know about what you already have -but I just purchased a new Garrett AT-pro from Mike Post at woodlands.
best bet is to give the man a call. He has the best customer service around.

Woodland Services L.L.C.
Toll Free (855) -966-3563
Mobile (828) -242-5407
Email [email protected]
Website www.Woodlanddetectors.com
Open 7 days 7am-9pm
BBB Accredited Business

I'm sure your using your detector on the beaches and in deeper then 10ft of water the garrett might not be the best choice for you- so I don't know- but I bet Mike can give you some really good info on another water detector that will suit your needs.

~Fitzy111

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
USTreasureClub said:
Hi,

Thank you for all the people that respond. I am looking for the best Salt Water / Water Detector to purchase. I currently own the Surf PI. Is this considered the best? Should I waste anymore money buying a new one?

Thanks again!

For Saltwater Pulse Induction is king, followed by Broad Band Spectrum. Very Low Frequency machines (Including the Garrett AT Pro) are not good saltwater machines. I use a Tesoro Sand Shark and could not be happier with it!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High power pulse still rules but the choices have shrunk a little after Eric Foster retired. If you could pick up a secondhand Aquastar you would see real depth improvement.

Things are a lot better if you only wanted to work the wet sand not actually go in the water because you could pick up a secondhand Deepstar 2 or 3 (not Mk 1), a 5c or Whites TDI. The last two are gold/land detectors but can be used with great success on the wet.

The cheap waterproof option is Whites Dual Field pulse but its not that much deeper than your Surf PI but does have the extra controls needed to optmise it to most beach conditions so would seem quite a bit deeper than your present detector if you have areas where say black sand is reducing the performance. I don't really rate Garrett, Tesoro or C-Scope or most other European pulse machines on wet salt or in the sea but you have to choose what suits you and how much you want to spend.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Terry Soloman said:
USTreasureClub said:
Hi,

Thank you for all the people that respond. I am looking for the best Salt Water / Water Detector to purchase. I currently own the Surf PI. Is this considered the best? Should I waste anymore money buying a new one?

Thanks again!

For Saltwater Pulse Induction is king, followed by Broad Band Spectrum. Very Low Frequency machines (Including the Garrett AT Pro) are not good saltwater machines. I use a Tesoro Sand Shark and could not be happier with it!
The Garrett AT Pro and AT Gold are good for fresh water and the Infinium LS is good for saltwater. Other brands mentioned here are worth checking out also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread