Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you said at pro right

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
normal blips. size and depth of target that's notched out.

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Used my AT Pro for first time today. Big learning curve I think. Hunted in Standard coin most the day. Eventually tried to notch out everything below 80. I was expecting nothing but high audio tones. Why would I get an occasional mid tone? I would think all mid tones would be eliminated.

My suggestion would be to Auto Ground Balance [see manual] then use the Zero Mode and set your Sensitivity 2 notches down from max. I then would gather various objects [penny, nickle, dime, quarter and some iron objects] place them in a CLEAN area [well away from each other] and then sweep your coil over them and listen to the various tones. I only use the zero or Pro zero modes. If you are not interested in iron you can notch it out [12 - 17 gets out the small stuff and 40 just about eliminates it all]. I also would recommend not to use the coin modes, because it notches out some of the gold area and pull tabs, we certainly would not want to pass up those pull tabs. :laughing7: AT Pro is a great machine and also very easy to learn.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Kenkoehn1950,
No machine will truly "notch out" all unwanted targets. Although, most detectors will surely help.
Your AT is a good machine and will eliminate a lot of unwanted targets, especially with its iron audio feature. But notching everything below 80, you take a large risk of missing most gold targets.
Once you become more accustomed to the AT, try a custom Pro Mode. It gives a bit more depth and additional sounds. Don't rely on the screen numbers. Sound will be your key to good targets.
GL+HH! Peace

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the zero mode. That way I hear everything and pick and choose the higher targets. Say anything that hits around 32 to maybe 40 and bounces up. Good signals will read way higher.

OP
OP
K

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To mountains...thanks for moving the thread! So do you actually dig everything over 40?

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Ken, I have been hunting in Pro Mode and notching everything out below 80 with the addition of turning my iron disc to 40 for coin shooting purposes which has worked well for me, BUTTTTTTTTTTT today I decided to hunt in Pro Mode All Metal with no discrimination and literally as soon as I did I hit my first ever ring!!! :laughing7: I was so happy and excited I was hollaring to my brother. Lol. It was a women's 1984 High School class ring in perfect condition and very nice. I personally don't like the doorbell sound of the standard mode and have been told the pro mode also is a little stronger mode to hunt with, I'm not sure if there is any truth in that, but have always hunted in pro mode since I got the AT Pro. Good Luck and HH.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
--- snip --- I'm not sure if there is any truth in that, but have always hunted in pro mode since I got the AT Pro. Good Luck and HH.

Next time you're out and come up with what you think might be a deep target, switch to the standard mode and compare the signal. That might tell you whether there is a difference, or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread