Help cleaning what I believe is an old cent...

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ok it is the same size as a cent but I think it is old. It is covered with a more solid dirt and has a green covering like the few real old wheat cents i have found. It seems to be the exact size. I know photo is bad, but what is the simplest way to try to clean without destroying it. It already has some rim dings :(

Attachments

• 18 JUNE OLD CENT.jpg
    18 JUNE OLD CENT.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 341

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
If you would have found it with an Explorer.... ::)

Shove it in a regular potato for a day or three. The starch eats the gunk off. Just keep tabs on it... and rotate the spot where the coin is in the potato every day for maximum starch penetration.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
cryptodave said:

Shove it in a regular potato for a day or three. The starch eats the gunk off. Just keep tabs on it... and rotate the spot where the coin is in the potato every day for maximum starch penetration.

;D ;)

You bad cryptodave. ;D

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
I've tried Cryptodave's method on several occasions.....and each time...great results.

Just don't do something stupid like I did..........I forgot how many I had put into the potato...finished with the potato, threw the potato down the sink, turned the garbage disposal on..............CRACK, CLACK, CRACK, CLACK!..........Oh sh**.... :o
Well, it had quite a few rim dings in it after that! ;D Totally destroyed it.
--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Thanks will do :)

quote author=cryptodave link=topic=92359.msg664449#msg664449 date=1182196462]

[/quote]

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Hey that would not be good! I have not been finding a lot of old coins, but I am planning an assault on the forest preserves this fall!

borninok said:
I've tried Cryptodave's method on several occasions.....and each time...great results.

Just don't do something stupid like I did..........I forgot how many I had put into the potato...finished with the potato, threw the potato down the sink, turned the garbage disposal on..............CRACK, CLACK, CRACK, CLACK!..........Oh sh**.... :o
Well, it had quite a few rim dings in it after that! ;D Totally destroyed it.
--Mel

borninok

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread