HELP! Computer freeze up and or posts dont post.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
HELP! Computer freeze up and or posts don't post.

This probably won't post, here we go anyway. I am EXTREMELY frustrated and looking for some advice, I'll settle for some sympathy :'(. It does'nt just happen here at TN, but alot of sites on the internet. I will be in the middle of typing a reply or just looking at pictures and my computer freezes up hard. Ctrl Alt Delete does not work the only fix is to shut the computer off and re-boot. Ordering online get 3-4 things in my cart same thing freezes more solid than a New England pond!

If I type a heart felt response of more than 2-3 lines it never appears, just vanishes, it says it's posting, not there.

I feel bad not responding or looking at the posts but if the files on the pictures are of good size, gonezo. If I only type a line or two in response to your posts this is why, I wish I could respond more. Especially this time of year, work is extremely boring and slow. If I get a customer I need my computer up and running.

Could it be a setting or a comand somewhere on this dang computer? It's windows 98, plenty of free memory, DSL. I can not upgrade because the state owns the computer (I'm also a registrar ::), I run vehicle registrations). Any help, advice or sympathy will be greatly appreciated.

If by chance this posts...........Merry Christmas!
Kim

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: HELP! Computer freeze up and or posts don't post.

Get your Computer Cleaned out, It sounds like maby a Virus.

Run SPYBOT if you have it or can get it

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Yeah I thought that also. Friday the state came in and installed new virus protection, Macafee. He said I should be fine, but it's worse. Where would I find SPYBOT if you still think that will work. Thank you so much for the help.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If the state came in and installed McAfee, they should sit down and clean out your hard drive and run the programs. Spybot is good and I use Norton. Or I did till AT&T Yahoo said it interferes with it's downloading.

Good Luck with the dumb machines.
Sandman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'll have to Defer to someone else on how to get Spybot.
It was already Installed on mine, When My Nephew brought it up.

My Spyware is Running now & everything is going slow while it runs,
But a search should find it.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

I agree with Sandman. If the state installed it, have them come back and clean it out. Where I work, we get in serious trouble if we try to fix or change the computer settings.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I have macafee at home and no issues, so I guess maybe it is a hard drive cleaning issue. I agree completely with the DUMB machine comment. Maybe I will call him if I can't figure it out myself. I'm kind of a stubborn girl, like to be able to do it myself!

low xtreme

Oct 5, 2006
georgia

is there a ton of programs running at the same time? maybe close out some of the un-needed ones in the toolbar.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

low xtreme said:
is there a ton of programs running at the same time? maybe close out some of the un-needed ones in the toolbar.
I usually just have TN and my work screen open. Thanks for the idea though.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had a similar problem with my old computer running Windows 98. The problem is the computer is too slow for the current internet. If you can upgrade the microprocessor it may help. More RAM will help then. But the best solution would be a newer faster computer running Windows XP. Cleaning and defragging help a little, might be a bug, but when I got my newer faster XP running computer it was like night and day.

Ed D.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Thanks Ed. I have XP at home and could'nt agree with you more, love it. This is a state owned computer and the Registry program won't run with XP for some reason, URGH. I went to run a virus scan and check my Macafee settings, It's telling me some components were not installed properly. So.......I have a call in to the "MAN". This is a recent problem, I think he may have to bring me "another" computer. I seem to go through them here, he says I think faster than the computer does. Like thats a bad thing ::).

I just hope he calls back and gets me fixed up, I thought it was probably some settings I had wrong, but maybe not.

Thanks gentlemen.
Kim

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000

Kim,
Your problem may not be a virus but a data miner program running unnoticed in the background. MacAfee will only detect and remove a virus. Data miners do not get detected because they are benign. Spybot and Adaware 6.0 will remove data miner programs but you have to be careful because they will sometimes remove components to programs you want to keep. I doubt your computer is too slow for the internet as the internet doesn't have any speed and your access being DSL is gives a fast connection. It does sound like a program is running the background. If you do try to use Spybot or Adaware make sure you only delete data miner programs and not Internet Explorer or other programs. Good Luck.

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin

I'm impressed. I work for the state (different one) and it that happened to me, the first comment wouldn't be about running Spy/Adware....it'd be "personal use of the Internet on a State computer is not allowed" and then they'd quote a bunch of policies regarding it.

My last day here (hopefully, when I retire) I'm gonna try for "blue screen of death".

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maybe Christmas Gremlins?

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Farmercal,

Wow! You just scared the daylights out of me! I had never heard of data miners, are you pulling my leg? By the sounds you're not. I think if it is something like that I'll let the pros handle it. Wow, I thought I knew a little about computers, now I know........... I know VERY little. Thanks I'll mention it to him when he calls.

r49miner

Sep 12, 2006
Idaho
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just went through this and hopefully yours is not as bad as what mine was, I am running XP Pro. I was advised by Microsoft to download a software to do a test of my registry and I did and I had 789 errors. I went to PC Registry Mechanic and downloaded their software which is free to do a test, it's the fix that cost's, and paid for the software. It only fixed half the problem I was having. If I was able to reboot and it loaded up, I could do almost anything for a pretty long time but at times it would not reboot but freeze almost immediately.I took it in and they tried changing the Ram, the power supply, the video card. It turned out that my mother board was going out, so I replaced it and now I have all kinds of software to reinstall. Like I said, I yours is not as bad as mine was. It turns out I did in fact have three separate problems, the Registry, the video card which was under warranty and the Mother board. I know how frustrating it can be. I also wound up with another problem after everything was fixed.

I just got my computer back from the shop. The problems I was having are
fixed for good, I hope. The problem I am having now is I can't keep sound up.
I go to the panel and my slide control for volume is all the way at the bottom. I put the slide back
up about 3/4 and select apply and then OK. I back out and return to what I
was doing and I get a one inch by 6 inch horizontal scale of the sound being
turned down. I have not hit any special key, it just does it. I went to the
speaker on the bottom right corner to select sound to turn it back up but
when I slide the slide up it goes right back down. The only way I can turn
the sound up is to go to the control panel and select sound. Push the slide
back up hit apply and then ok. But within 5 minutes I get the one inch by 6
inch horizontal scale again and watch as the sound is being turned down,
further more I could be on the internet and I still get the scale.

Turned out to be my Keyboard. I had a stuck Key. I didn't know some Keyboards have volume control. Once someone suggested I look to see if I had a stuck key, which I thought how could that be it has to be the new Mother board. Checked the Keyboard and there the little devil was.

Best of luck and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Arakronn,
They do not care what I do on the computer, with work I have to hit many different sites. I even told him about having my shopping cart full when it froze me up. Blue screen of death could be a possability here pretty quick!

bk
Not sure about Christmas Gremlins, but........definatley Gremlins.

I am getting a computer education.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread