Help dating a silver buckle?

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned to the French Indian Fort on my family land and I think I am closer to the lost original site. I found this tiny silver buckle which is very worn, you can still make out the pattern around some of the edge. It is 1.1 inches in length. Quite small to be a shoe buckle, so maybe a hat or stocking?
The site was a Native fort from 1650-1740's where people trades with natives and hired guides. In 1749 the French took it over and built a substantial fort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also found a nice little button and really large Lead Coin shaped object quite deep... im completely stumped on its purpose.

IMG_0484.PNG IMG_0485.PNG IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0467.JPG IMG_0468.JPG

Upvote 6

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "buckle" is a great find - certainly looks like trade goods to me - as to how exactly it was purposed , I don't have a good guess .

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch you may have nailed it! Well thats quite the find then, looked like it was quite ornate for the period.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch you may have nailed it! Well thats quite the find then, looked like it was quite ornate for the period.

Yes, most are not solid silver, so goes without saying when you have at min. a Shillings worth of silver, it was a bit of a loss back in the day.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the silver buckle, very historical find! Most of the buckles I find from that period are made out of brass. It looks as if you have found many great colonial finds from that site so keep on hitting it hard. I remember how happy I was when I found a mid-1700's silver hand engraved monogrammed shoe buckle, I was able to find out who the guy in the second monogram was -a teacher and catholic priest from Ireland-, I also found out who the blacksmith was with the help of other Tnet members.

Monogram reads, "S.P. to G.R."
IMG_20141107_164923.jpg IMG_20141107_165049.jpg

Coinman123,

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Following with what Iron Patch already indicated...try this site too. These guys are an English TH and MD group and have an extensive page on 17th and 18th century silver and base metal clog and shoe fasteners.

Shame yours has a broken off end piece as many times the silversmiths hallmark would be located there.

Here's the site: Clogfasteners

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice find OWK. Looks like you have a great site there with some real potential for more great finds

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, there aren't too many found over here from what I hear. I found one in Charleston this summer. I would still like to see an example of how they were actually used on shoes.

Attachments

• image-1562092217.jpg
    image-1562092217.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3780898855.jpg
    image-3780898855.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 61

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Pair_of_19thC_Wood__Leather_Pi_as155a878b.jpg
    Pair_of_19thC_Wood__Leather_Pi_as155a878b.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 66

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver ones don't turn up that often over here either, maybe 1 a year. Good find.

OP
OP
O

OneWetKnee

May 26, 2013
New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver ones don't turn up that often over here either, maybe 1 a year. Good find.

I'm starting to like this little find more and more, I am hopeful once i get closer to the original site my first banner find will be waiting ;)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to like this little find more and more, I am hopeful once i get closer to the original site my first banner find will be waiting ;)

Oh yeah you should LOVE that little find. It's a beauty. And I hope your first Banner is waiting there

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Find the iron! If you get on a site that age there sure is the chance for a banner find. But even with a good old site, it still takes that one right target... and I can tell you first hand that when the best stuff you'll ever find is in the dirt in front of you, it's quite a shock because obviously there was no kind of hint it was close. Once you get the rush you'll want it again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread