Help deciding on MD

KZ2088

Greenie
Jul 23, 2017
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon everyone. I'm looking to purchase a basic MD like a F11, used F22, Compadre, ect. Something in the $150-$200 range. However, I will spend separate money on a 11"-13" DD coil. I'm planning a trip out west soon to get my sweep on. I guess my question would be depth and coverage. Does anyone reading this have experience with adding a 11"+ DD coil on, say, a Fisher F11? A lower frequency machine. I'm looking to find dime size and +. I can get the F11 WITH a 11" dd on Apex for $209. Not a bad deal. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector will get you 5-8 inches easy with that setup. I really love my F75 and had a bounty hunter I gave to a friend so he could keep hunting. You may wish to get a small coil if you hunt trash or iron.

OP
OP
KZ2088

KZ2088

Greenie
Jul 23, 2017
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize. I was just using a little sarcasm but I can understand how it sounded rude. So I deleted it. Thank you for the input on the original post, though. I was under the impression, after doing research, that a bigger dd coil would cover more area and a lower frequency machine would penetrate deeper. I'd like to go out west one week to hunt for larger nuggets... the size of a dime or larger. Hence the setup I was asking about.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deleted mine as well KZ, minor misunderstanding. You are right in that a lower freq. may penetrate deeper, but a higher freq. will detect "Gold" far better. The larger coil will detect deeper than a smaller coil, and will cover more ground with each sweep, but the smaller coil will enable you to pinpoint better and get into tighter areas, (between rocks, under shrubs, cactus etc. There are guys on the Forum that know WAY much more about electronic prospecting than I do, & from AZ. Check out the Prospecting Sub-Forum on T-Net. Store house of information, and you could ask anything there, those fella's would be more than willing to help.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for gold Nugs, I can't think of anything better than a Fisher Bold Bug II (Operates at 71kHz), but the used ones are around $400-450.00. Without the proper machine you will be digging stuff that you don't want as small gold identifies with junk.
You are correct on the low Freq. machines tend to go deeper as well the larger coils, however if Gold Nugs is your only Target, you should re-think what weapon is needed. A higher Freq machine 20 mhz and above. This is just my opinion though.
Marvin

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold nuggets are meduim conductors, right in there with lead. 12kHz on up to 71kHz machines are used.

$300 - $400 will get you a used machine - either something like a Gold Bug Pro with discrimination or an older dedicated nugget machine like a Whites GoldMaster VSAT PR GM3 or GM4b.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
call DENNIS at METALDETECTORS.COM discount prices great service

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions