RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aster_1_LDM_New_Alter-Zone.jpg

I have a false color satellite mineral map of an alteration zone that I believe is where the Lost Dutchman Mine is located. The alteration zone is 5 miles long and almost a mile wide so that's 5 square miles that need to be searched in a very hellish area. This lode deposit was formed in a thick quartz vein so there are no placers associated with this lode gold deposit. For those of you who are not that familiar with geology a quartz vein lode gold deposit can only form in an alteration zone. Prior to the new satellite technology locating an alteration zone was very difficult unless you stumbled upon it.

I would like help in determining if there are any gold deposits in this map area. If so I have much more detailed maps available of this, 14 miles by 13 miles, map area which can be used to narrow down the search area considerably. The funny looking small white squiggles near the bottom left corner of this map is a housing development.

The Dutchman's lode gold deposit is a vein maybe 1/4 mile long that starts on the side of a small mountain and goes down to end in a small canyon at the bottom of the mountain. There are five mine shafts, all covered up to a depth of 12' to 15'. One was found in the mid 1960s and when opened the vein had played out. The vein that did come out of the ground, in the side canyon, broken up by Jacob down to a depth of 6' below the canyon bottom and covered over. He also Boobie Trapped his last mine shaft.

Also scattered around the area, probably within 10 miles, or less, are several buried caches of his gold. Several years before Jacob died he carried out a donkey load of gold ore and buried it in a number of places. Then he filled in the mine shafts. From time to time he would go back and dig up one of his stashes and live off of it for a while. From what he said during his last days it appears there may be from three to six caches still remaining.

I would like to hire someone who is good at map dowsing to help me in this effort. I am retired (otherwise I wouldn't have all the time it takes to develop these false color mineral maps) so I don't have a lot of money to work with.

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Aster_1_LDM_New_Alter-Zone.jpg This one is too complicated for me..I get 6 cashes in one area (6V) and 7 veins in a larger area (V). I look at map differently than a lot of people...I use it as a tool to get me in the right area...Then I can use my other skills and tools to locate the treasure...I look at treasure hunting as a hobby to enjoy...Art
...Art

Last edited:
OP
OP
RBrown

RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aarthrj3811 - Wow. I am completely confused by your map? What do the 1V, 2V and 3V mean (are these the number of veins in each of those areas, or is it something else)?

Then there is the 6C area, what does this mean? Could this be the 6V area you mentioned above where you found 6 buried caches?

I understand the "no" areas.

Could the 7 veins you found be buried caches instead of veins?

Great job!

Roger

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
~RBrown~
aarthrj3811 - Wow. I am completely confused by your map? What do the 1V, 2V and 3V mean (are these the number of veins in each of those areas, or is it something else)?
Yes they are that many gold veins in each area...They may be the same vein that goes into another square..
Then there is the 6C area, what does this mean? Could this be the 6V area you mentioned above where you found 6 buried caches?
Yes...there is 6 caches in that square
I understand the "no" areas.

Could the 7 veins you found be buried caches instead of veins?
I don’t think so..the question was ..Is there any gold veins in this square.

Great job!
Art

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really getting too much of anything, except the red might be a good area for treasure hunting. Problem is, the depth I'm getting is down to 9-10 feet deep for large circle on the left, the middle one 11-12 feet deep, the small red circle on the right 17-18 foot depth down to or else to bottom.

If the type of treasure would turn out, a kind of cache, the location must then be in a cave/tunnel or old mine shaft. A couple SW Indian sites have ruins or cliff dwellings, not likely here, since the Apache lived in the area and considered the Superstition mountains as sacred.

The line area, probably not what you need, but get a little signal of some other type. I've read so many different versions of the story, even one said that a Mexican mule pack train, was ambushed in a canyon of the area or an earthquake altered things. Anyway, might be worth it to try expanding a little, read once in an older treasure magazine comment, the claim was made that a rose quartz vein with gold supposedly was found beyond where the traditional search location is. This area does lack the typical gold placer, could also be a reason I'm not picking up on it yet.

Attachments

• Aster_1_LDM_New_Alter-ZoneB.jpg
    Aster_1_LDM_New_Alter-ZoneB.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
OP
OP
RBrown

RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red desert - I see you changed your picture. I think this one looks better.

Did you get anything in the rest of the map I posted? The map you pasted above is just the upper left section of it, about 1/3 of my entire map.

Your Red circles are interesting as they are in the area where they found wagon tracks worn in the rocks. This lead many to think this is the way the Mexicans came and they did it so often their heavy wagons worn wheel grooves in the rocks.

I came up on this area much differently than any of the other Lost Dutchman hunters. I first pulled satellite images covering the entire Superstition Mountains area. Then I processed them looking for only for alteration zones. I only found a single alteration zone in the whole area. The image I posted is this image. As quartz vein lode gold deposits can only form in an alteration zone the Lost Dutchman has to be in this area, if its in the Superstition Mountains at all. The alteration zone is near the center of my image above. As this deposit is from a thick quartz vein there are no associated placers. So it was easy to home in on the area where the lode deposit has to be. The entire alteration zone area is about five square miles in area and the area is really hellish. The satellite maps won't narrow the location down any further. But at least I have located the only area in the Superstitions where a lode gold deposit can form.

If you remember the old stories Jacob filled in all the mine shafts with 12'+ of rocks and logs. There were somewhere between three and five mine shafts. The ones he didn't bury the Indians did. Most were buried 12' to 15' deep from the stories. The last one that Jacob did he boobie-trapped. The lower end of the vein came out of the ground so Jacob cut it down to 6' under the ground (so no one would find it). This is the shallowest dig to reach the vein. Back in the mid 1960s one of the filled in shafts was found and excavated. It was filled with rocks, logs and dirt to 18'. When they finally dug it all out they found the vein had already played out before it was covered. Don't know if this was one the Indians filled in or Jacob.

If you read the old stories you will see that Jacob makes reference to caches he placed around the area. They were well hidden but only a few feet deep. The last few years before he died he would dig up a cache when he was running low on funds. The caches are filled with the raw vein ore which assayed at 2.7 Troy ounces per pound of ore (5330 Toz/Ton). From what I read in the old stories Jacob didn't go to the mine to dig ore for the last two to three years of his life.

I would expect his buried caches are located nearer to the bottom of my map as its a much easier place to get to while still being quite remote. Have you looked at just the bottom half of my map to see if you feel anything there? Maybe just cut the top half off so you don't get sidetracked by the areas you found in the top section of the map.

While your Red circles are about the right depth for Jacob's filled in mine shafts they are not located in or near an alteration zone so they can't be a quartz vein lode gold deposit. Burying a cache at 10' or below seems like something the pirates would do but not Jacob as he had intensions of digging them up as needed to live off of them. So I don't know what you may have found there?

Your while lines are in an area that has attracted much attention over the years and there were a lot of different people/parties hunting for the Lost Dutchman around there but again its not an alteration zone, so no lode gold deposit in that area.

In the other map you were kind enough to look at for me (my earlier post), your second take on it was far better than your first one. Your Red circles are in a likely area that I have not searched (as its two miles from the main canyon) but it is near the alteration zone and is in the erosion area for the alteration zone (which is the only place you can find placers). I took down the coordinates and will make a special trip there to check it out in the spring (after the snow is gone and I can get into the area).

Thank you for all your kind help and input.

Roger

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did get a lot of signals that area, in the center of the map you posted above, they are not marked because I'd decided it was from the Apaches or other Native Americans. I can mark them if you want.

OP
OP
RBrown

RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red desert - Yes, please mark them on the map.

Did you get any signals in the bottom to bottom right (from the middle of the map downward and right)? This is where I would expect at least some of the caches to be. There should be three to six left undug.

In the middle of the map is part of the alteration zone and that is the area where a played out mine shaft was found, and dug out, in the 1960s. I don't believe there are Indian artifacts in that area. The Indians filled in the mine shafts so the "whites" couldn't find the gold and stop coming into their area.

Not far from that area I found rocks with quartz veins in them - no gold though.

Do you ever go looking for treasures yourself you have found by dowsing?

Thanks.

Roger

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the signals which I belived to be Native American. Last time had started checking for archaeological type of hits, to mark in green. Using the same cropped section as posted above. From right of the red circles but lower and above the white line area. Got a hit for Indian, then moving lower and to the right, got 2 more hits. Since you were only interested in the quartz vein, didn't mark any of them in the first dowsing. Checked once more getting a 4th hit, down but to the right of the 3 Indian hits. I'm not sure what it was except might be in the alteration zone. The red circles, not sure and wasn't getting any gold vein on them, it seemed more like treasure......I've heard the Superstition mountains have people who are running from the law hiding out. It could be related to the Mexican mule pack trains used to go that way also. If the alteration zone is in the center of the large map like you said, I did get just one hit there.

Attachments

• Aster_1_LDM_New_Alter-ZoneB1.jpg
    Aster_1_LDM_New_Alter-ZoneB1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 360

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do I look for treasure? No, I prefer to hit the mining claims in Quartzsite, when possible. I've got a GPAA membership, somehow I've never got out to the Stanton claim as have dreamed about many times. That sure was nice gold named the "tongue nugget" dug up by the road, believe it happened on the Lucky Linda claim (hope I got the name right). Do get invited to hunt for treasure at times, so far didn't go on any of those trips yet.

OP
OP
RBrown

RBrown

Oct 10, 2012
Phoenix Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red desert - Thanks for the new map.

Quartzsite! I usually go there in December before the big gem show. A lot of the vendors are there in December but the million visitors aren't.

You said you got a hit near the middle of the large map. The alteration zone is just to the right of your white lines area and continues to the right and downward. Look at the map aarthrj3811's map above. The alteration zone extends down into his upper 1V area. aarthrj3811 cut my large map into four parts separated by black lines. Where the black lines cross near the center of the large map is where the alteration zone starts and goes downward and to the right into his 1V area.

The mine shaft that was found back in th 1960s was very close to where his black lines cross near the center of the large map.

I would expect there to be caches in the area of his 6C, 1V, 3V boxes. Did you get any signals in those areas?

Take care.

Roger

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not posting the results here, because you've put so much into it. But, yes a signal in the middle area.....yes, a signal slightly lower to the right and a 3rd down in the lower right section. PM me if you want the results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread