Help! Explanantion for ground covered in rusted nails and fixings

grace91

Oct 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been exploring Canvey Island, in Essex, UK and came across a patch of ground covered in very old rusted nails and fixings, a hinge etc. The area is outside a Yacht Club, where there is shallow water and mad flats. The only explanation i can come up with is that a ship wreck used to be there and all thats left is the nails. The island is prone to flooding and a large concrete barge used to be in that area, and was there since WW1 but about 20m away. Please could someone help me, is this likely? Would the ship have decayed and everything except for the metal be left? Or is it more likely that they've been dumped there and left for many years. It just seems bizarre because they are quite evenly spread, no grass is growing on that area, only around edge of the circular patch of nails, they seem very old, with cracks forming.

Please help, im so interested to know, am doing a university project on the Island and i really want to focus on these nails.

Attachments

• IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    521.4 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    562.4 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_5445.JPG
    IMG_5445.JPG
    257.3 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
G

grace91

Oct 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More photos of the area

Attachments

• IMG_5451.JPG
    IMG_5451.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5452.JPG
    IMG_5452.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_5453.JPG
    IMG_5453.JPG
    781.1 KB · Views: 191

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
That hinge looks like it's from a modern piece of furniture, a cabinet or such. The nails look pretty modern too and as a shipbuilder I wouldn't use such nails, would prefer brass which doesn't rust. I maybe wrong but this doesn't look like the remains of a ship to me. My guess would be somebody burnt a pile of wood there, furniture and maybe timbers and boards from an old roof.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, they wouldnt use steel nails, those are modern house building nails. The brass screw might be from a boat, but they still use those today. All looks modern.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread