HELP FISHER F2

Ironman0583

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a newbie and I just got in my Fisher F2 and I took it out in the yard to mess with and boy the readings are jumping all over the place and sometimes it gets a hit and the number is stuck on there for a couple seconds or more, am I doing anything wrong? I took some of my qts, dimes, nickels etc and dug a hole and put them in and waved over them to get a reading, so I got a dime/qtr hit in a different area, tried using pinpoint and couldn't find anything but kept reading...any tips, ideas would be helpful thanks

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you can get big number hits on the f2 (and many detectors) that read like coins when the coil passes over large pieces of iron. The larger the object is, the deeper the detector will be able to pick it up. It's possible the target you missed is very deep and is a large object. You can sometimes check for this by lifting the coil a foot off the ground and checking the signal. If it is still picking a similar signal up you can bet it's something big and possibly deep. Keep in mind the depth indicator is only for reference and your target depth will vary from what is displayed. The detector might say there is a quarter 3" down but it could be a big piece of metal a foot down. Be cautions of buried utility lines and water pipes, there is a lot of stuff down there!

Another thing to consider is your pinpointer. If you are using the F point that came with your fisher it does not have the best range compared to say a garrett propointer. It's still worth using though. I would recommend setting some coins out and getting a feel for the pinpointer's range no matter which one you are using. You may need to dig within an inch of the target for the pinpointer to pick it up, which means you need to pinpoint accurately with the F2 before you dig, and keep digging deep enough for the pinpointer to detect the target. You will come across very tiny targets sometimes which can be hard to find too, pinpointer or not. I highly recommend getting a garrett propointer to use with your F2 if you dont have one already. They are a bit steep but once you use it for a hunt you will thank me. The F2 is a great detector for the money but you have to be able to successfully recover the targets you find to realize it's full potential. The propointer will lead you right to your target quickly which means you can spend more time detecting and less time digging around in holes getting frustrated.

My F2 sometimes gets hung up on a signal for a few seconds too. I find it annoying but it seems to be the nature of the beast. Mine will sometimes also pinpoint a target at 4" deep no matter where you put it, even in clean soil with no metal. I power it off and on again and it's fine but the F2 does have some quirks to get used to. Hope that was some help to you, good luck with your new F2!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread