Help for a newbie

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All,

Thanks in advance, I have the responsibility to go through my father's coin collection since he has passed away, and I need a good source for a pricing guide. Nothing in this collection stands out, probably just a bunch of old coins, but there are quite a few of them. Willing to pay for a book or subscription service if it is worthwhile.

I have scoured the internet, but thought I would check with you folks first. Kind of funny really that I found such a cool site that is right up my alley.

Scott

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with the ANA grading guide so you can determine grade. If you plan on selling the collection or not, check the sold prices on e-bay to get a feel for what they're worth. The PCGS web site will give you values on graded and slabbed coins which will usually be a bit higher than a raw coin. The slabbed coins will also bring more money on e-bay because the buyer feels more comfortable with the grade and is willing to pay for that expert opinion and knowledge. Have fun and I hope you find a rare/valuable one!

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post us some pics we would be more than happy to inform you of what you have and how much it is possibly worth?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Scott; One of the best books around for you is the RS Yeoman Guide to United States Coins also more known as the RED BOOK ok. It is basically the BIBLE of US Coins from the 1500's to Present ok. My advice is to have them "ALL" Professionaly Graded by the PCGS Service. When you receive the coins back you will know EXACTLY what you have and their Certified Grades. They will be returned to you if they are just junk coins of little to no value. They do charge a fee but the fee is completely offset by the higher value you will receive from the buyers when you sell your coins ok.
A Suggestion is that you write down every coins Date, Mintmark and guessed at Grade ok. That way you will not lose track of what you have overall ok. Also DO "NOT" clean any of your coins in any way shape manner or form ok. You WILL kill their value if any ok. I wish you good luck. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
R

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, i am going through each type, cataloging date and mint and will get them graded. Most of this is just so I know what he had collected. You never know, maybe one of these coins will help me retire to my flyfishing addiction ��

If I run across one that is interesting I will post a pic, but for now I am going numb from looking at old cents, then nickles, then dimes, then......

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, i am going through each type, cataloging date and mint and will get them graded. Most of this is just so I know what he had collected. You never know, maybe one of these coins will help me retire to my flyfishing addiction ��

If I run across one that is interesting I will post a pic, but for now I am going numb from looking at old cents, then nickles, then dimes, then......

I'm not sure what you mean by getting them graded - if you a just taking to a local coin shop and having a few done for free, thats fine, but grading (via a 3rd party grading service like NGC or PCGS) can be costly and totally unnecessary for many coins. You may want to post pictures of some of the coins you have here so we can get an idea of what you have and what the best route would be for selling them. Honestly, I would probably buy some!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The folks here have given you some good advice and I will only add on thing. NumisMedia's Price Guide at NumisMedia Online FMV Rare Coin Price Guide Index - Retail Fair Market Value Prices for U.S. Rare Coins usually has decent values for U.S. Coins on their' website. I usually take the values that I get from the PCGS Price Guide for specific grades as well as NumisMedia's Price Guide and eBay's Sold Auctions to get an average value for my' coins. As previous stated, PCGS' pricing (value) of coins are based on certified and graded coins, while NumisMedia's pricing is not and eBay's Sold Auction prices follow nothing but what a person is willing to pay for a specific coin. Therefore, you have to consider all of these factors when trying to determine a more true value of each coin from your dad's collection. You have my sympathies and condolences on your loss! May with each day, things get brighter and the grief get less and less! I lost my dad in 1998 and mom in 2001 and know your pain.

Frank

7treefrog

Aug 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you read a red book and get a good feel for grading a good way to see what to sell a coin for is eBay. If you search the coin (year and mint mark) you can see what other people are selling/buying them for so u can see what you can sell them for, if that's what you decide to do. I am also extremely sorry about your father.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer redbook myself. I got the 2015 book when it came out in April. Gives really good prices with really good info.

OP
OP
R

RScott

Jun 25, 2014
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks, this has been a real eye opener. I have the new Redbook on my list, not just for now, but I am remembering how much fun I had as a kid looking through coins, collecting wheatbacks - it re-kindled an old interest. I find Ebay fascinating and I guess a pretty good real time market valuing system. One more thing is that some of the coins that I figured were just average are actually better, sometime much better. I wish I could put up a picture of a '43 copper or 1909 S, but there aren't any :sadsmiley:

Thanks for all your help, now I need to take picture of some and put them up. But then of course I also have to figure out which MD I am going to buy AND put up pictures of some of my prettier rocks, and go look for points in a field near the Hooch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread