Help! Found this old tag today in the woods and don’t know what it’s for???

2girls1shovel

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2023
8D655829-BD5A-4E71-8753-DB7A42C2EE9B.jpeg

Upvote 7
OP
OP
2girls1shovel

2girls1shovel

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2023
Strictly a guess, but I would say this tag hung around the neck of a bottle of hydrogen gas to identify it. Molecular hydrogen, aka diatomic hydrogen. It possibly was used for inventory purposes. Take a tank of gas, place tag on hook to show what is gone.
Interesting! Any estimate on a time era?

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strictly a guess, but I would say this tag hung around the neck of a bottle of hydrogen gas to identify it. Molecular hydrogen, aka diatomic hydrogen. It possibly was used for inventory purposes. Take a tank of gas, place tag on hook to show what is gone.
I concur. Working in a machine shop I've seen this same type of tag on hydrogen gas bottles.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is is a miners or lumber persons tool tag. They were given these tags to use when checking out a tool or piece of equipment,

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks similar to a Miner's Tag but all the ones I've found all have two or three digit numbers on them - no letters.
You could clean it with Very Fine Steel Wool (from any Hardware Store) or put it in a homemade "Electrolysis Bath".
It's made of Bronze / Copper - should cleanup real nice.

Good Hunting !

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some more of a back story might help with an ID. I know you said the woods but like in the middle of nowhere, old homesite, near a town etc? Was logging done around there. A few things like might help. Cool tag none the less. Congratz

OP
OP
2girls1shovel

2girls1shovel

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2023
Some more of a back story might help with an ID. I know you said the woods but like in the middle of nowhere, old homesite, near a town etc? Was logging done around there. A few things like might help. Cool tag none the less. Congratz
So it was about 1 acre in on a 10 acre field. It’s actually old Indian burial grounds they discovered in the 60s. For some reason they still built a school on the land in 1978. School has been shut down since 2014 and no other structures have been allowed on the property since it was declared a historic site or besides the school. Public still goes there, it’s not blocked off or anything..I checked the property records for any other structures since 1980 and there’s nothing. There IS a rumor some long houses were built on it by indians and the battle site of fort Meigs at Perrysburg is also fairly close by , about 8 minutes away. There is also rumors of old silver mines along the river here which it is about 2 minutes from the rivers edge.

OP
OP
2girls1shovel

2girls1shovel

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2023
So it was about 1 acre in on a 10 acre field. It’s actually old Indian burial grounds they discovered in the 60s. For some reason they still built a school on the land in 1978. School has been shut down since 2014 and no other structures have been allowed on the property since it was declared a historic site or besides the school. Public still goes there, it’s not blocked off or anything..I checked the property records for any other structures since 1980 and there’s nothing. There IS a rumor some long houses were built on it by indians and the battle site of fort Meigs at Perrysburg is also fairly close by , about 8 minutes away. There is also rumors of old silver mines along the river here which it is about 2 minutes from the rivers edge.
They’ve built a subdivision and a neighborhood along the right of the parcel but there’s atleast 2 acres on all sides of the 10acres of woods that’s just land.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well hopefully all that info helps some of the others help with your question. Sounds like a lot of history there so it sounds like some fun times for y'all. Thx for the info and HH!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also Welcome to Treasurenet

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m with the folks who say “tool tag”/“miner’s tag”.
I found a bunch of them together at my mother-in-law’s house last year. Since she knew who the previous owners of the house were, we were able to link them to the person that owned the house right around 1900, and that person worked in a coal mine.

IMG_2209.jpeg

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Workers were assigned a number or a letter and number or maybe just a letter. Then when someone got a piece of equipment they had to give the person a tag to know who took the tools and needed to replace them. When the item was replaced them they got there tags back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread