help...help... my pics are way to big ...help...help

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
download picasa from google.....Its a program used often for resizing, importing, and exporting pictures. Open whatever picture you want and then export it to another folder on your computer. When exporting it will ask you what size to use. I use 700 pixels as a good rule of thumb. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. :icon_thumleft:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Your windows edit program works really well if you are willing to learn it.
The solution may be as easy as learning how to email yourself a picture.
Let the program shrink it down to about 40 to 60 KBs this is also the perfect size for posting.
You don't have to do anything except click the dots in the wizzard.

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
I am guilty of the same thing and i post on treasure depot too, but they refuse any pic over 200m.so like above i start an email to whoever..add picture then view it after i have selected a lower pic resolution then save it in a folder to then pic up and post ...

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
here is the way I resize my pics.
okey dokey! this is how ya do it- - -
right click on pick you want to size
scroll down to" open with" & click Paint
image will appear in paint window
go up to left hand corner of window & click on Image
click on stretch/skew
new window will open with boxes
in horizontal box put in 25
in vertical put in 25 & click ok
your pic should be resized make sure you save as, I use title & email so I can find it easily. any problems let me know. hope this helps

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Email them to yourself
Save them & Try again

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
There are two simple solutions.

1. Adjust the camera setting. You generally can choose to shoot at the maximum resolution of the camera, or select a smaller setting. For example, if you have an 8MP camera, you can often set it to shoot at
4MP, so the pictures are smaller.

2. Reduce the size in some photo-editing program once you've uploaded them to the
computer. This is the technique I use.
I upload the photos, then crop and reduce the size to something more suitable
for posting on line (usually down to about 1 MP size).
While editing, you can fix the colors and contrast etc. too.

Galen

Greenie
Jan 1, 2011
A bit late, but I might as well chime in.

I always use Imageshack, in lack of any fancy program. Not perfect, but gets the basic job done quickly and easily.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Linux since 1999. We have so many options. I use Convert/mogrify. Open a terminal in the folder, and type:

mogrify -resize 50% Anyphoto.jpg and it reduces it to 1/4 size. If you want it 1/10, use 31%, etc. One need not even open the file.

Change mogrify to convert if you want the original file intact, and the smaller one under a new name.

I also have Gwenview and Gimp, which is a full-fledged editor. but, for simple resize, a command line does great. Plus you can do a whole folder full in one command, though the bigger ones will be bigger in the end.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread but may be of help to some. :icon_thumright:

This is how I do it - Its quick once you do a couple and requires no downloads for most computers.
_________________________________________________ _______________

-Open the program "Paint".

-Then click "File" and then "Open". This will bring up the folders/files on your computer.

-Select the file you wish to work with.

-With the file/image open, click on "Image". This will open a drop down menu.

-From the drop down menu, click "Stretch/Skew". This will open another box.

-In this box you will see "Stretch" with options for "Horizontal" and "Vertical". The %'s for these will be at 100.

-Change the value from 100 to your new percentage (either shrinking or enlarging, though enlarging will cause some loss of quality) and click OK.

-Your picture will be re-sized. Save the newly sized photo as a new file so as to retain your original.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread