HELP?! HFMD9 Mod, and Im stuck!

mlrosier

Greenie
May 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELP?! HFMD9 Mod, and I'm stuck!

So, I've been interested in giving metal detecting a go for a very long time, but could never justify spending a bunch on a decent detector. Then I found out about the Harbor Freight 9 Function Metal Detector. I bought one, and I decided to mod it up before taking it out. The materials are really flimsy, so I wanted to do something pretty much identical to this:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detector-modifications/306836-12-pvc-frame-water-resistant-mod.html

The post is around 3 years old, so I don't expect a reply on it.
I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here. I gutted the HFMD9, and set it up the same way as the detector in the above. I desoldered the coil cable from the main board, as well as the useless meter. I got everything packed into the wet box, resoldered the coil cable to the board, but now, when I turn the detector on, all it does is beep, at everything, metal or not. Just holding the detector still, all it does is chirp non-stop. Is it because I did not re-solder the meter to the board? I'm pulling my hair out and I am about to give up and just junk all of it. I took a picture of the main board before I desoldered it, so all of the wires are back where they need to be. I don't see any terminal bridging from solder that could be causing a short. Do I need to bridge the "+" and "-" where the meter was wired to the board? Any help would be great! Thank you.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you would get a better response if you would post under the Metal Detecting sub forum for metal detector modifications.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, the most eloquent SusanMN is, as always correct. The MD modification section here is great.
Also, IMHO alone, trying to mod a HF detector is useless. You'll spend more time than the machine is worth?
GL though.
Peace ✌

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what your definition of a "bunch of money" is...but I think you just provided some justification for buying a decent detector :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread