✅ SOLVED Help I.D. celt,hoe ???

Buckeyedon

Jul 19, 2014
S.W. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000 DI, Bounty Hunter Big Bud, Garrett GMH CX111
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in Muskingum Co. Ohio. Made of banded slate. 8" long 3 1/2", wide at sharpened end , 1/2" thick at widest point. I have a few books but appears to be to thin for a celt? Don't know if slate is to soft for a hoe. Or is it something completely different. All help appreciated. Sorry about Quality of pics. Thank you Don

Attachments

• 100_2162.JPG
    100_2162.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_2163.JPG
    100_2163.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_2165.JPG
    100_2165.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_2166.JPG
    100_2166.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Don... I like the name! Catchy... Anyway, it is pretty thin for a typical celt, but you gotta remember that these were not made in a factory. Maybe they were going to make a gorget, and then realized they needed to chop something?? Ya never really know for sure unless you were there... It looks nice no matter what you want to call it.. Thanks for posting it :thumbup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shape is that of a celt, like PDDigger says it is alfull thin for one but all other says celt....

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. At eight inches its a whopper. Looks like a celt.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Sure has the form and bit of a celt, but I have yet to see one that thin. Very Cool!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks almost like Hematite but cant really tell for sure. If it is flatter on 1 side than the other it might be a Adze used for wood working and not chopping.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I guess it could be an adze. What kind of wear, if any does it have on the bit? Celts, hoes and dazed will all exhibit clearly different wear patterns on the bit. If you can get some good pictures it might help. It also could be a pendant that is unfinished. Either way a very cool find.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
It's not an adze.

The bit of a celt is usually beveled and always run straight across just like your piece.... The bit on an Adze is curved.

Nice one!!

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Celts are NOT beveled and the bit on a adze gets curved after much use. I have seen MANY adze and celts made from slate, not your typical material but when that's what you got that's what you use!!! GREAT FIND regardless!!!!!!! HH....

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's flint adzes that dont have the standard ( bit shape.Then at least in Maine anyways There's the usual ) bit which is pecked that way it is not from being worn.Not to say they aren't worn or broken then repaired...In my eyes it's a Celt.....mjm

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also it looks like it is double bitted...Is the other end ground also?....mjm

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the stone type. Is it heavy for the size? Hematite usually has some weight to it. Slate on the other hand is a tad bit lighter. A outside pic would help quite a bit in natural sunlight. Its nice

OP
OP
B

Buckeyedon

Jul 19, 2014
S.W. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000 DI, Bounty Hunter Big Bud, Garrett GMH CX111
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your input and comments. The material was not in question. Thought it might be too soft for a tool. As pointed out they used what they had. After further research stemming from your comments. I believe it to be a Celt. Thanks again, Don

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it's worth that looks like an adze to me..too thin to properly haft as a celt plus the bit is predominantly angled from one side like a chisel. This piece would have been hafted perpendicular to the shaft in my opinion.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with ya Gator!!!! Better pics of the bit would diff help but for now I'm going with my gut!!!!!!!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Celts are NOT beveled and the bit on a adze gets curved after much use. I have seen MANY adze and celts made from slate, not your typical material but when that's what you got that's what you use!!! GREAT FIND regardless!!!!!!! HH....

Oh Really? Maybe I don't know what beveled means. But EVERY celt I have in profile looks like this, and if that isn't beveled, I am eager for your lesson.

DSCN1178.jpg

Last edited:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Really? Maybe I don't know what beveled means. But EVERY celt I have in profile looks like this, and if that isn't beveled, I am eager for your lesson.

DSCN1178.jpg

Not tryin to argue with you Q but that looks like your standard celt bit ( nice one at that ). A beveled bit would be heavier on one side which is why there are hafted diff.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Not tryin to argue with you Q but that looks like your standard celt bit ( nice one at that ). A beveled bit would be heavier on one side which is why there are hafted diff.

Ummm, there are many different forms of beveling, a Celt bit is a double bevel. You must be thinking of the common right hand beveling???

No argument from me, unless you want to keep saying celts are NOT beveled. :-)

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ummm, there are many different forms of beveling, a Celt bit is a double bevel. You must be thinking of the common right hand beveling???

No argument from me, unless you want to keep saying celts are NOT beveled. :-)

So what your sayin is every stone piece with a blade is beveled???

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can replace the word bevel with the word angled.
So yes if it is angled to form a bit it is beveled. This celt is beveled (angled) from both sides

Attachments

• 1449363137714.jpg
    1449363137714.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 75

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread