Help ID Two North Carolina Points

27davis

May 16, 2009
Greenville, NC
Primary Interest:
Other
These two points were found in Edgecombe County. I know what I would like the second one to be, but don't want to get my hopes up just yet. These points were field finds.

image-2066035838.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so hard to see the white ones. Maybe you can take another pic outside on the same black. That might help. Nice finds

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
It's a possibility that it could be in the hardaway family. Especially since you are in North Carolina.

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The large one looks like a Hardaway maybe. Then, the other one looks like a worn down Hardaway-Dalton. They are estimated to be approximately 10,000 years old. Nice finds!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The large one looks like a Hardaway maybe. Then, the other one looks like a worn down Hardaway-Dalton. They are estimated to be approximately 10,000 years old. Nice finds!

I agree with the possibility of Hardaway/dalton. However, something doesn't look right. Can't call why right off. Could be the medial ridge, just not sure. Let me look again. The one that you are hoping for a sweet answer on, can you describe the base or even better take a few pics of the base?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one I believe is a Taylor point and the second on looks like a exhausted Clovis. Need a better pic of that one......

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
The small one may be a yadkin. They are found all over NC and fool me every time. I always think they are paleo then find out they are woodland. I'm not certain here, but it's a nice starting line for you. The larger find is possibly an Alamance. I'll try to get a link up for you.

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Left piece looks like a Palmer and the smaller one on the right a Yadkin?Uhwarrie (maybe Alamance) that's pretty used up.

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small one may be a yadkin. They are found all over NC and fool me every time. I always think they are paleo then find out they are woodland. I'm not certain here, but it's a nice starting line for you. The larger find is possibly an Alamance. I'll try to get a link up for you.

I'm not calling you wrong either, Rusty. There's a good chance it may be a Woodland type. However, most Yadkins I've found has never been quartz. Quartz was mainly used before Woodland age, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Having better pictures of these materials and their bases would help us provide more certainty for sure.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm not calling you wrong either, Rusty. There's a good chance it may be a Woodland type. However, most Yadkins I've found has never been quartz. Quartz was mainly used before Woodland age, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Having better pictures of these materials and their bases would help us provide more certainty for sure.

We have more quartz than any other lithic in this area. I find plenty of contact era quartz pieces. Paper thin triangles. They wow me every time.

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea you're right a lot of them Woodland triangles can be quartz. Quartz and rhyolite is the most abundant materials I can think of in NC. I've not ever seen a quartz Yadkin before really, ones I've found/seen have been rhyolite. I seen them Caraways and Uhwarries made of quartz before. I read this resource also about Woodland sites in the NC Piedmont. It says smaller percentages of Woodland quartz were found and the rest was mainly Carolina slate. There's a possibility that it's Woodland like you said. Some Woodland Period Sites of North Carolina's Piedmont | www.arrowheads.com We've made a decent ball park estimate considering we don't have these in hand.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did pretty good I think, as well!

Nice try both of you... the base of the triangle shows a uniform concave base with rounded auricles. No yadkin points ever show rounded auricles. They have the woodland base showing sharp defined auricles. It appears to be ground but I cannot tell by the picture. Alamance points show a definitive barb just after the base on both sides of the blade giving it its look. The hardaway will have feet for auricles. That point has none of those characteristics. The other point has a Taylor/ Charleston pine tree look. The corner notch is the difference on that one.It also has vosburg traits. They both appear to be made of quartz.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have found quite a few quartz points dating from paleo to woodland.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Nice try both of you... the base of the triangle shows a uniform concave base with rounded auricles. No yadkin points ever show rounded auricles. They have the woodland base showing sharp defined auricles. It appears to be ground but I cannot tell by the picture. Alamance points show a definitive barb just after the base on both sides of the blade giving it its look. The hardaway will have feet for auricles. That point has none of those characteristics. The other point has a Taylor/ Charleston pine tree look. The corner notch is the difference on that one.It also has vosburg traits. They both appear to be made of quartz.

GTP, I hand it to you, you are much better at point ID than I. My only question is, are vosburg points found in NC? I never have seen one, and I do see you said traits. No positive ID yet. I have woodland triangles with nice grinding at the base.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NC...The bases on woodland triangles are just worn from being socketed. True basal grinding is very noticeable....

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a paleo Clovis that has been weathered. Concaved based guilfords have a constricted base. The auricles point in where as a Clovis is either straight or a slight flair in the auricles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions