Help identify this weird urn... I’ve tried to find any info but can’t.

PaleoPrincess

Mar 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this while digging in a bottle dump in Maryland. It’s some kind of gray metal, possibly pewter.... really not sure. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577737904.042586.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577737927.241697.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577737943.216173.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1577737956.082151.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with AARC

It's Japanese 'champleve' cloisonné enamelware and likely Meiji period (1868-1912) made for export. The stylised animal handles are very characteristic of these pieces. I would be surprised if it's something other than bronze and these pieces usually came with a turned wooden base stand to avoid them damaging polished furniture.

I think that would be an attractive thing if cleaned up a bit and I don't think it would damage its value if you did it yourself rather than finding a restorer. Even in undamaged condition and with its original stand it probably wouldn't fetch more than $200

OP
OP
P

PaleoPrincess

Mar 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree with AARC

It's Japanese 'champleve' cloisonné enamelware and likely Meiji period (1868-1912) made for export. The stylised animal handles are very characteristic of these pieces. I would be surprised if it's something other than bronze and these pieces usually came with a turned wooden base stand to avoid them damaging polished furniture.

I think that would be an attractive thing if cleaned up a bit and I don't think it would damage its value if you did it yourself rather than finding a restorer. Even in undamaged condition and with its original stand it probably wouldn't fetch more than $200

Wow that’s a lot more than I would have thought. I am not quite sure how to clean it up. I did wash it when I originally found it, but it dries dull again. It’s in pretty good shape, except the bottom is missing.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a cool find I agree would look great cleaned up.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think your urn has a missing bottom. I belive it was made that way, although it probably originally had a simple turned wooden stand, as I said. Just a relatively plain circle of wood, unattached, with an indent where it sat. I've never had a satisfactory explanation for why many of these things were apparently made bottomless, but I always imagined it was some sort of Japanese cultural tradition or symbolism. I could be completely and laughably wrong, but my guess is that the piece is meant to stand alone on its artistic merits without the distraction of bunches of flowers or whatever. Perhaps a tasteful arrangement of dried grasses or something at most.

There are some tips on cleaning metalware at the link below, but you will need to clean the metal portions separately to the enamel portions with different products. Over here we have an organisation called the VEA (Vitreous Enamel Association) that provides a "VEA Approved" logo for suitable cleaning products. I guess there will be some similar scheme in the US, or it will be expressed somehow on the label.

Cleaning metals: basic guidelines - Victoria and Albert Museum

If it were mine, in that condition, I would drive up to the reality that the corrosion can't be removed while retaining the patina. I would clean it more harshly on that basis, given that it will never recover its value as an antique and just needs to be attractive without being glaringly shiny. Your choice though, and you could test out how it's going to look on the bottom rim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread