Help identifying fraternal symbol

Vickie

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know what Fraternal Society this cap would belong to? Picture 032.jpg

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
What do the buttons on the sides look like? And is there any makers info inside? (or any info hidden under the sweat band inside?)

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nhbenz, the hat was discussed in What-Is-It yesteday afternoon, here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/342342-civil-war-cap.html

The one chinstrap button shown in that discussion's photos is a cuff 3-piece US Army Officer button dating from 1854 to 1902. The inside of the hat has the maker's-mark of M.C. Lilley & Co, which dates it to no earlier than 1872.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Added another photo.

Vickie, I was hoping somebody here would immediately recognize the emblem of the Fraternal-society kepi-hat. Since nobody has spoken up, I'll do the best I can for you.

Back in September 2011, a digger posted an unidentified crossed-swords insignia. The result was one of the lengthiest relic-ID discussions ever in the What-Is-It forum (over 600 replies to his ID-request post). It turned out to be an insignia from the Fraternal-society "Knights of Pythias, Uniformed Ranks." The Uniformed Ranks was the military-style branch of the KoP. In doing research for that discussion, I came across a great many Fraternal-society insignias. I also saw some KoP-UR fraternal kepi-hats very similar to yours. Most date from the 1880s into the 1930s.

The "embroidered" emblem on your kepi-hat shows three weapons, crossed. One is a short-sword, one is a battle-axe, and the other is indistinct, but resembles a lance. According to my KoP-UR research, members of that military-themed organization "were drilled in the use of the sword, axe, and lance." A KoP-UR coat-pin showing those three crossed weapons is here: Knights of Pythias

I'm including the photo below. Look at the pin at lower right. It shows a short-sword (sword's handguard at bottom) crossed between two battle-axes.

Instead of having a leather chinstrap, your kepi-hat has a cord as the chinstrap. That is a very unusual feature. (By the way, the chinstrap is supposed to rest atop a kepi-hat's brim, not be stretched across the hat's top.) The cord on yours is white. KoP-UR kepi-hats have a white cord as the chinstrap. The one shown in the other photo below is darkened with age and handling (and so has the emblem-embroidery, which also used to be white).

Some KoP-UR kepi-hats had a wide band above the brim... like yours does. See photo below.

Also, emblems which are made of embroidered-thread on the front of KoP-UR kepi-hats were white. See another photo, below. Your embroidered emblem is white.

Lastly, your hat's manufacturer, the M.C. Lilley Company, is known to have been a big-time supplier of Knights of Pythias uniforms and related regalia (such as hats.) See the photo of an M.C. Lilley sales-catalog of KoP and KoP-UR items, below.

So, for all the above-mentioned reasons, my best "educated guess" is that your kepi-hat is a Knights Of Pythias - Uniformed Ranks hat, and emblem.

Attachments

• insignia_Fraternal-society_Knights-of-Pythias-Uniformed-Ranks_pins-and-buckle.jpg
    insignia_Fraternal-society_Knights-of-Pythias-Uniformed-Ranks_pins-and-buckle.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 295
  • catalog_Fraternal-lodge-paraphernailia-&-costumes_MC-Lilley&Co_TN.jpg
    catalog_Fraternal-lodge-paraphernailia-&-costumes_MC-Lilley&Co_TN.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 163
  • kepi-hat_fraternal_Knights-of-Pythias-Uniformed-Rank_wideband_white-cord_TN.jpg
    kepi-hat_fraternal_Knights-of-Pythias-Uniformed-Rank_wideband_white-cord_TN.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 335
  • kepi-hat_fraternal_Knights-of-Pythias-Uniformed-Rank_white-cord_TN.jpg
    kepi-hat_fraternal_Knights-of-Pythias-Uniformed-Rank_white-cord_TN.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KOP is still an active socioty.Many prominant poltitcians are members.I wiki'd them when I found this service badge.cool find!
pat 100_3813.jpg

Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
761477d1363539464-help-identifying-fraternal-symbol-picture-032.jpg

Hello CannonballGuy,

I admire your analysis. I, too, looked at KofP regalia closely, but could not find a match.

I'm viewing the axe as with fasces, a la the Merc.
Mercury_dime_reverse.jpg

But that is just my impression. I wondered about the central item. Are you viewing that as the short sword? I thought it might be a cap...

symbol_hat_attis_france.jpg
One Evil: Cap of Attis

And then I gave up...

KNIGHTS%20OF%20PYTHIAS%20MEMBERS.JPG
History of the Newman Museum

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
_This a is "fatigue cap" according the the M.C. Lilley catalog of 1891. The cap cord is correct over the top.

fatigue cap 1891.JPG

As stated in previous posts, Lilley was a perhaps the largest supplier of military and societal uniform accoutrements and accessories. This includes musician uniforms. Post Civil War, many communities had uniformed bands and drum corps.

Your hat is in amazingly good condition. If it were 100 years old, I would expect the red grosgrain to be faded. Whatever the age, it never saw much use.

DCMatt

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
There is a similar symbol on the sash in a photo identified as an Order of Red Men member.

I wouldn't expect them to have hats like that but I really don't know. I didn't have much luck quickly trying to find any more examples...

IORM Improved Order of Red Men

I think the site author swapped his own head with the head in the original photo :laughing7:

Attachments

• redmen.jpg
    redmen.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vickie

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for your help, and for the link. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
V

Vickie

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone, especially CannonballGuy and Bramblefind for always helping. This hat belongs to a friend that can't leave his house because his wife is very sick and I'm just trying to help him out, but couldn't without you guys. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread