Help identifying - oval blade

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there any way to date this? Found in mixed site.

photo (43).JPG

photo (45).JPG

Upvote 0
If you found it in a multicomponent site, probably tough to pin down as to time period. If one culture level showed a preference for that particular lithic, you might make an educated inference from that fact, but still there would be uncertainty. I do believe the more a person knows well a site they hunt, the better prepared they are to interpret what they find at that site. At least better then someone who has zero familiarity with that site. Educated guesses are best made by whomever is most familiar with the site, but unless that artifact is actually diagnostic of a specific culture level, I don't know how you can narrow down a date....

Thanks Charl. I only found this site last summer and I have found a variety. I just put up a base found there which is fluted and I think paleo - but with all the other it will probably be impossible to nail down. This is a different material and one I've only found at this site.

Can you show a picture of everything from this site? They may help, but if it's truly a multicomponent site it would hard to say. In my area a round base Knife like that would most likely be Woodland.

I noticed you have 2 states listed for your area is this from VA? Is part of it broken ? Looks like it from the one pic like others said hard to pin down I have found a few similar at a site in Maryland but even that site has a mix of early woodland and late archaic

I noticed you have 2 states listed for your area is this from VA? Is part of it broken ? Looks like it from the one pic like others said hard to pin down I have found a few similar at a site in Maryland but even that site has a mix of early woodland and late archaic

This is from NW Virginia (Maryland Line). The tip (or thinnest end) is broken. My picture is upside down (I think). It also looks like a bit of the core remains on the thicker end. I don't see this material other places - it looks like some sort of slate and appears bluish under water.

Hello shorewalker, those are some really nice artifacts! The blade could be a bi-face preform or perhaps a scraper? Any chance I can take a look at it?

Could the material possibly be rhyolite? In the book below (which I highly recommend!) it is described as "generally bluish gray in color, though sometimes purplish, and is often banded and mottled by what may be regarded as flow lines. Dark varieties resemble slate, and the structure is often somewhat slaty." I know South Mountain ryholite was imported into eastern Maryland and Northern Virginia with some regularity during the Late Archaic.

022.jpg

023.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back