rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These have already been properly identified. African points? Can you elaborate?

Whatever just block me dude and stop STALKING me

Last edited:

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are all excellent examples of Fox River serrated darts, if I had to guess I'd say that they were probably found somewhere in northern Illinois. They do not have a very wide distribution zone. Although they look small enough to be arrowheads they are actually atlatl darts ( if the archeologists have got it right).. I've attached some information from the Illinois Archeological Surveys,book " Projectile Points and the Illinois Landscape " ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501223298.097417.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501223318.697774.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501223338.445788.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501223355.369598.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mark Todd
Looks like I need to find that book.

OP
OP
B

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered the book��
It's not cheap by any means but looks like a wealth of Illinois info
Thanks
BD

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mark Todd
Looks like I need to find that book.

Happy to hear that the information I sent was helpful, that book only gives information on Fox Creek archaic darts on the pages I downloaded. But the rest of the book treats all the types known from the Paleo-to- the- Historical Period in Illinois. It's well worth the $50 some odd dollars, in fact it's the best point identification book I've ever read. Usually showing a dozen or more examples of each type, indicating the lithiic (type of stone by name) of each example, and whether or not that type has been speculatively dated or has been found in contexts that can show validity for the time period stated,it also has a short section that deals with every common point material utilized in Illinois and whether it is known where that material was quarried or not, and pictures of what a particular material looks like in the raw nodule form with its cortex.
I have no idea what the numbers represent that you mentioned ordering, but if you've got the bug to learn more about American artifacts, and in particular artifacts in and around Illinois, by all means order and study "Identifying and Understanding Artifacts in Illinois and Neighboring States". Probably as good of an introductory book as your going to find.
Also beware, there are many fake Fox Valley points being produced and informed collectors are aware.
M.T. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1501391075.685998.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread