Help IDing This Please

Mac Tools Dude

Jun 21, 2010
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Help ID'ing This Please

Hi Folks,

Found two curious items on my hunt in some woods near where Sherman took his troops north through S.C.

I have yet to find a "three ringer" but this bit of lead was bout 6 inches in the ground and if I remember correctly was a solid +80. I tool a better look at it with a magnifying glass and saw a few rings but I don't know if it's a peice of a three ringer or not. What do you folks think.

I also found the bottom of a shotgun shell from Peters Ammunitions. I looked up the company and found out some interesting info about the company. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/699573/the_history_and_ghosts_of_the_peters.html?cat=37

I think I'm hunting in the right places.

I guess only time will tell. Thanks for you ideas in advance about the lead.

Mac Tools Dude

Attachments

• three_ringer1.jpg
    three_ringer1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 438
  • three_ringer2.jpg
    three_ringer2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 442
  • peters_shell.jpg
    peters_shell.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 441
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mac Tools Dude

Mac Tools Dude

Jun 21, 2010
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Re: Help ID'ing This Please

I guess what I'm trying to do in this area is find something that would confirm that troops were in this area. This is the basic area where I found the flat button and the trunk ID tag. I have also found lots of old square nails and other iron shards. Just nothing definitely letting me know troops were there.

I'm not sold on the fact this this is CW. I just want others ideas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dude, let me preface this by saying that I'm not a bullet or CW relic expert. However, the checkering on your bullet says modern day muzzleoader to me. Anytime you see checkering in the grooves, that indicates post CW and generally post 1900. Keep trying. There's some relics there somewhere and good luck. HH.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It's hard to tell, but it looks like a wad cutter. Breezie

Top Member Reactions