Help IDing worn Coppers

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Help ID'ing worn Coppers

Four of the eight coppers I dug this past week are worn completely smooth. I have tried matching them up with my other Colonial coppers and some are close. I have 3 that are the same diameter as my 4 1773 Virginia coppers and vary in gram weight by a gram or so, with my Virginia coppers varying by about 3/4 of a gram between the 4. If anyone can make a guess as to what these might be.. that would be great.. I have been thumbing through Breens but...that is a lot of coins too check.

coin 1 8.4g 28.9MM
coin 2 5.2g 26.1MM
coin 3 4.8g 26MM
coin 4 4.6g 26.2MM

This is not critical.. I am just trying to get a better understanding of the coin spill I found.. 10 Colonial coppers in one small area really has my interest!! I'd post pictures but there really isn't anything to see, one of them has the slightest detail that sort of matches up with the revers design of a Virginia but it is hard to see.

Thanks in advance...

MB

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: Help ID'ing worn Coppers

Don in SJ is the copper's guru if I remember right. He's a good source for attributions because he conducts a pretty exhaustive analysis with what he has to work with.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The largest and heaviest , coin 1, well, without a photo, hard to guess, but a possibility is a William III Halfpenny, but just a guess on what would be possible in that size and weight range. (William III's are usually found worn smooth on reverse and almost on Obverse, but the left side usually shows the remains of the Ribbons on the bust...........

The other three, well, looking at my lists of Va Halfpence and the two I have, I say they are too big to be Virginia Halfpence and too light. sure they are coins? I looked at 7 Va Halfpence and all were 25.1mm or less. lightest was 90 grains and heaviest about 115 grains. Your 3 Unks were 80, 74 and 71, much lighter.

Even though blank it might help if you did post photos of both sides anyway, never know, might be able to pick up some clue. I am working on a blank I found the other day, was hoping it was a 1650's French Liard, based on its diameter and weight, but just cannot say for sure, a tad frustrating not knowing.....

Don

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Here is Coin #1

Attachments

• coin1A.JPG
    coin1A.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 242
  • coin1B.JPG
    coin1B.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 244
OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

Here is coin #2

Attachments

• coin2A.jpg
    coin2A.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 225
  • coin2B.jpg
    coin2B.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 247

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, looks like no help, but coin 2 does look like a total worn out, corroded copper, but not much solace for lack of being able to ID them. Sorry, anything else would be a total guess.....

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread