βœ… SOLVED Help in identifying a toy soldier.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found 3 of these in this one place. 2 of them are remnants but the third one is pretty much complete.

Here's some pics and close ups.

081313 (6).jpg 081313 (7).jpg 081313 (8).jpg 081313 (9).jpg 081313 (10).jpg 081313 (11).jpg 081313 (12).jpg 081313 (13).jpg 081313 (13).jpg 081313 (14).jpg

The complete one measures 1.75 by 2 inches. It's solid. There are mold lines. I'm unsure of the metal but it seems light for lead. I'm thinking pewter. Is there a way to determine pewter? It weighs in at about 31 grams. The site they were found on dates back to about the early 1800's.

It's been suggested that they are from some sort of kit. I don't know, did they have kits to mold one's own army men?

It appears to be WW1, judging by the helmet. But, the long coat tails have me a bit puzzled. Also, I don't see any weapons portrayed. :icon_scratch:

081313 (8).jpg

In any case, this is a favorite found toy of mine. I would just like to figure a little more about it's history.

Any help is appreciated!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yes, there are molds for toy soldiers.

Play around on ebay with searches for 'lead molds', 'soldier molds', etc.

The soldier looks WWI era, US or British. Both wore long trench coats, and the helmet could be correct for either nation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there are molds for toy soldiers.

Play around on ebay with searches for 'lead molds', 'soldier molds', etc.

The soldier looks WWI era, US or British. Both wore long trench coats, and the helmet could be correct for either nation.

I figured there had to be. I just don't know toys. But, does this look like any popular manufacturers' mold/kit? I was hoping that a toy expert might recognize the style. :dontknow:

I knew there were many lead toys back then but didn't think they'd sold kits to make your own.

Is there a way to test for pewter? Or even confirm this is lead? It doesn't appear to be heavy enough to me to be lead. But, I've been wrong before. ;)

Thanks!

Upvote 0

FeS2

Aug 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these were home-cast, they might have lead or tin in any combination. A common source metal easily melted was toothpaste tubes, that were made of lead and tin. Just collect some, scrape and burn off the paint, melt in a ladle, pour into molds. I had fun melting tire weights and toothpaste tubes myself in the 1960s.

It is so easy to melt lead and tin, while zinc has a significantly higher melting point. Also, lead and tin were found in throw away items, while more or less pure zinc was not as available unless you went and bought an ingot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If these were home-cast, they might have lead or tin in any combination. A common source metal easily melted was toothpaste tubes, that were made of lead and tin. Just collect some, scrape and burn off the paint, melt in a ladle, pour into molds. I had fun melting tire weights and toothpaste tubes myself in the 1960s.

It is so easy to melt lead and tin, while zinc has a significantly higher melting point. Also, lead and tin were found in throw away items, while more or less pure zinc was not as available unless you went and bought an ingot.

Yep, and thanks for the info.

I guess I was asking too much to pin down this toy. Seems like it's made from a pretty detailed mold, (except, I would expect there to be a weapon of some sort showing, somewhere. :dontknow: ). But, it appears that it's not a well known kit. The pattern isn't recognized.

Kind of a shame. But, I guess there's nothing I can do.

Thanks for trying guys!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep! I do believe we have a winner!
I had seen the mold before and a soldier like mine once before. But, I could not pin down whether it was major manufacturer or just a homemade mold.

From where those on Ebay were from, it looks like this was pretty wide spread.

Thanks for all your help! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a bunch of lead soldiers I got at a garage sale last month - looks like the same pattern as yours . it came with a melting ladle , lead sinkers , and a lead ingot .

Attachments

• lesd 003.jpg
    lesd 003.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 102
  • lesd 004.jpg
    lesd 004.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 94
  • lesd 007.jpg
    lesd 007.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 0
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a bunch of lead soldiers I got at a garage sale last month - looks like the same pattern as yours . it came with a melting ladle , lead sinkers , and a lead ingot .

Yep, does look like him. Sounds like you got everything but the mold?

Where I dug these up makes me feel pretty confident that they are from the time the kit came out though. I did find 3 remnants but they were over a large area and time.

Thanks for the extra info!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread