Help, is it possible to use substitute for a 3/16 expanded metal in a sluice build ?

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of building the "Popandson Fine Gold Sluice". I have most of the sluice building material, but the difficult part that I couldn't get my hands on is the (3/16”) expanded size of the last part in the sluice. This expanded piece is put at the bottom of the sluice , and according to the Guide lines that is published by the developers of the sluice, it is very important because it vital for capturing the finest pieces of Gold. My problem is this is the last part that I don't have locally , I searched for a while to no avail ( I reside in Africa, by the way). Also importing such thing is very costly.So, I am wondering, can I substitute that size of piece with the metal mesh from the metal waste basket ? I mean the mesh has fine openings , (and no I don't have a clue of the size of the mesh). So any one has idea about the possibilities of this ? . Any help would be appreciated.

the metal waste basket I am referring to , is Like this one:

Deli Wire Mesh Waste Basket 9190.jpg

Last edited:

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope! You want raised expanded, the raised part is what creates the "vortex" action causing the heavies to fall out, You can used 1/4 raised or anything around that size,

OP
OP
G

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omnicron, thanks for the info . Guess I should look at other options.

OP
OP
G

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks OKIE. I think the smaller size of this type has an advantage over the 1/4", what do you think? is it true?

Jon7878

Apr 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the process of building the "Popandson Fine Gold Sluice". I have most of the sluice building material, but the difficult part that I couldn't get my hands on is the (3/16”) expanded size of the last part in the sluice. This expanded piece is put at the bottom of the sluice , and according to the Guide lines that is published by the developers of the sluice, it is very important because it vital for capturing the finest pieces of Gold. My problem is this is the last part that I don't have locally , I searched for a while to no avail ( I reside in Africa, by the way). Also importing such thing is very costly.So, I am wondering, can I substitute that size of piece with the metal mesh from the metal waste basket ? I mean the mesh has fine openings , (and no I don't have a clue of the size of the mesh). So any one has idea about the possibilities of this ? . Any help would be appreciated.

the metal waste basket I am referring to , is Like this one:

View attachment 775516
Watch "Nip and Tuck" goldmine videos on Youtube. That guy Steve (the guy at the Nip and Tuck Goldmine) shows you how simple and basic catching gold is. He has ALL handmade sluice built out of wood with some simple miners moss and whatever expanded steel he could get his hands on. He definitely shows how primitive methods are the best at catching gold. He'll basically tell you any sort of obstructions that will allow the gold to sink and get caught will work. He has about 8 videos posted, and his sluicing setups DO show how simple it is to catch gold. He doesn't even use riffle, only expanded metal. He doesn't have a bunch of cons either, his sluices allow the dirt and sand to wash on out leaving the gold behind. Again, check out Nip and Tuck Goldmine videos on Youtube. After you watch all the videos, it'll explain alot. It'll show how alot of guys waste so much time with their cons from their sluice because they try and catch material instead of gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread