Panning alternative ?

LarenC

Feb 5, 2013
Talent, OR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother and I are gonna do some prospecting this year and just wondered if there is a faster way to sample without panning. We tried it and it would take us all day to sample a half bucket.
We saw videos on the Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice and the Underflow Sluice and we like both of them. Any advice from "Old Timers" would really be appreciated.
Thank you,
LarenC

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking all day to pan out half a bucket is crazy. A sample pan can be washed down in a few minutes or so.
The reason to sample is to find a spot that is worth digging, THEN setting up a sluice box and running as much material as you can.
Your pan is your number one tool. Learn how to use it first.

Have fun
Steve

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd say set up a plain drop riffle (instant clean out) sluice and run a quick half bucket then clean out, for each sample. A BGT would be good too but demands more water which you don't always have when sampling new areas.

Drop riffle sluices: Le Trap, Angus Mackirk, California Sluice Box, or handmade (google for plans)

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Practice with lead birdshot and some backyard dirt or sand. Theres no way getting around panning. Your back will tell you when good at it.

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a plastic tub from a fridge about 7" deep and the ende part is a baby wipes box spread open by a plastic hanger. Thats what i use as the water collector.
1/2" pvc with 1/8's holes drilled. I have a top lid for it i use to classify. I gold all this stuff free the total cost was 0

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It will save you a lot of time in the long run to just learn to pan effectively..... it is like riding a bike once you got it you will always have it.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I have to agree with the others. For now invest your time in learning to pan at home with some small lead shot. A quick sample pan should take no more than a few minutes. don't set upthe sluice untill you find gold with the pan.
Prospect (pan) before mining (sluice)!

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NO! there is not any faster way to sample.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread