Help make my mind up please

Mar 16, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First if there is a direct thread elsewhere please let me know as to not waste you're time.

-my budget is at approx $700. Getting to 900+ is just out of range for me at this point and likely beyond my capabilities
-my goal is to enjoy my time outside and limit wasted time determining if I have a sound target where my machine indicates one exists
-I presently have a bounty hunter discovery 2200 and desperately want to upgrade.

-north texas soils is predominately where I'll hunt. A beach would be an outlier, but I dont want to limit myself
-ive heard amazing notes on equinox 600, at max, and xp orx. To me these seem comparable within the realm of stock options.
-im a middle of the pack kind of guy and dont lean towards cheap, but i also dont drive a ferrari to work for a reason.
-i equally enjoy digging coins and relics and am not particular to one or the other.

Ultimately I want to find a damn happy middle ground with a new detector that provides a lot of options that isnt an advanced level unit. Everywhere you turn, someone has one reason or other telling me why this is better than that. I hope my purpose and desires are enough to reccomend the appropriate model that would/should last me a long time.

Thanks all!

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! Out of those 3, I can only recommend the Minelab Equinox 600. I’ve used the at pro but I’m sure my 600 is miles ahead of the Garrett offering. The Xp ORX is a super simplified Deus. Lightweight and a good detector but I sold mine.
Best of luck on your choices!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go with a Simplex with more than enough left over for an orange pinpointer, quality shovel and a steak dinner. Be advised, and you probably already know this, with any machine you'll get a fair share of false targets, wasted time and unexpected junk, no total cure but getting to know your machine like a book helps.
Hunting coins is easier than relics, as you usually can tell by pinpoint profile the size of a target at least [if the pinpoint shows you a target a ft long, might be a treasure chest but not a coin, and you can move on]. Relics, you pretty much have to dig it all - I imagine not a joy in alot of hard baked TX soil.

I've seen threads with the XP out of stock everywhere, not sure about the Ork.
I like the AT, have a Pro but use it only in the water. Honestly is a bit dated and clunky, I know alot of guys do good with them but I'd rather have a simplex [or nox] for ergonomics alone - Easier to handle and lighter, update-able, adjustable sound, back lit LCD, stem easily breaks down for travel/storage, wireless headphone option and the list goes on.

Last edited:

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've owned or tested detectors from every major manufacturer of metal detectors over the years and of the three you are considering for the budget, environment and objectives you list, were I you, I'd go with the multi-frequency Minelab Equinox 600. If gold prospecting is in your future, then go with the Equinox 800...although somewhat out of your budget limit.

Multi Frequency machines readily adapt to both different/changing environments and are effective on low, mid and high level conductive targets simultaneously.

Single frequency machines such as the AT Max are limited in comparison by differing environmental conditions and the wide spectrum of potential targets.

Selectable frequency detectors such the XP ORX or even Deus are not multi frequency...i.e. simultaneously operating frequencies and although very good detectors, they simply do not have the inherent advantages of a true multi frequency machine.

Another advantage the Equinox has over the other two on your list is that you can also use it in single frequency mode. It’s both a multi and selectable frequency detector.

Bottom line: I now own nothing but Minelab products.

Last edited:

Chuck M

Greenie
Dec 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with a Multi-frequeintcy detector. Either the Minelab Equinox 600 or Vanquish 540 pro pack

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. :hello:

Equinox or the vanquish series would do you well

Last edited:

mjb Mike

Feb 10, 2021
southern mayland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new just 3 or 4 years in but I just upgraded to the equinox 600 and love it its very easy to learn how to use.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Some of my best finds were iffy targets. There's no way to avoid digging trash. I think the EQ600 is the right machine for you and if you don't like it, should be easy to resell.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is that your budget allows you to consider quite a number of machines.

Of the 3 machines you mention I have zero experience with two of them, and just recently bought the ORX so I'm not in a position to really talk much about it either. I can say the ORX is very light weight and seems to be of very good quality.

There a few other machines you might wish to consider.

Nokta/Makro Multi Kruzer - waterproof machine, very well built. Selectable frequency machine (choose one of three frequencies). Comes with wireless headphones (they work well in my opinion). Fairly large choice of coils. The 7 inch concentric is fantastic. 3 tone has a very fast recovery. 4 tone is deep, but can be sparky. Can hunt salt water, but you'll likely get a bit less depth than a multi frequency machine would.

Nokta Anfibio Multi - might be pushing your budget a bit, but I suspect you can find one (new) at the outer limit of your budget. Comes with wireless headphones. Same coil choices as the Kruzer. Built like a tank, yet very light weight. Stock coil is very deep. Also a selectable frequency machine. Waterproof to 16 feet. Can hunt salt water but you'll likely get a bit less depth than a multi-frequency machine would. Some find both the Anfibio and the Multi Kruzer to be a bit on the complicated side (as far as operating them). The Anfibio has more programs (more options) than the Multi Kruzer.

Nokta Simplex - well within your budget. I've not used one, but the reviews tend to be very positive. Single frequency machine. Waterproof. Can be had with the wireless headphones.

Garrett Apex - well within your budget (even if you opt for the wireless headphones - which are excellent). Multi frequency machine, but you can also select one of four frequencies. Has a salt mode (multi frequency). Works very well in wet salt sand. NOT waterproof though - so it can't be dunked. It is weatherproof - so it can be used in the rain. Very simple to use, very light weight. Very good build quality. I find it to be a very fun machine. I don't believe it is as deep as the two Nokta machines I own, but I think it is capable of hitting a quarter at 10 inches in my fairly mild soil. It can be ground balanced.

Minelab Vanquish 440 or 540 - I have no experience with the Vanquish. Lots of very positive reviews though. Not waterproof. Can't be ground balanced. I believe the 540 can be had with wireless headphones. Well within the limits of your stated budget.

Fisher F75 (or Tek T2) - I have no experience with either machine. Both have lots of very positive reviews. Neither is waterproof. Both are said to be very deep machines. My understanding is that the F75 is geared more toward coin hunting and the T2 is geared more toward the relic side of things. 5 year warranty...

Best of luck with whichever machine you end up choosing.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking for performance and results...an Equinox 600...OR...a lightly used Equinox 800, which will get you more adjustability, wireless Wi-Stream module and wireless headphones. SIMULTANEOUS MULTI FREQUENCY is MUCH more accurate when identifying coins, and the bulk of OLD coins I’ve ever found are DEEP (6”+). If you’re looking to dig anything that makes a noise...look at the others.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are looking for performance and results...an Equinox 600...OR...a lightly used Equinox 800, which will get you more adjustability, wireless Wi-Stream module and wireless headphones. SIMULTANEOUS MULTI FREQUENCY is MUCH more accurate when identifying coins, and the bulk of OLD coins I’ve ever found are DEEP (6”+). If you’re looking to dig anything that makes a noise...look at the others.

That is quite an inaccurate exaggeration, I have called out and ID'ed countless coins and rings before digging with a variety of detectors, and have been doing so years and years before anyone heard of a nox, including the 3 beep Ace 400 - Nox hasn't quite obsoleted everything.
I personally tried the nox and didn't care for it and sold it, IMO multifreq is not the game changer some make it out to be, at least for the detecting I do, and better value can be had elsewhere. VDI is not much of a factor when seeking deeper elusive targets, its all in the tone. ID in any circumstances on ANY machine is simply an electronic best guess anyhow, some slightly better than others and the Nox VDI range is compressed and hobbled, absolutely nothing to brag about [-9 to 40] even compared to the decades old Ace, which has a full 0 to 99

Last edited:

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is quite an inaccurate exaggeration, I have called out and ID'ed countless coins and rings before digging with a variety of detectors, and have been doing so years and years before anyone heard of a nox, including the 3 beep Ace 400 - Nox hasn't quite obsoleted everything.
I personally tried the nox and didn't care for it and sold it, IMO multifreq is not the game changer some make it out to be, at least for the detecting I do, and better value can be had elsewhere. VID is not much of a factor when seeking deeper elusive targets, its all in the tone. ID in any circumstances on ANY machine is simply an electronic best guess anyhow, some slightly better than others and the Nox VID range is compressed and hobbled even compared to the decades old Ace, which has a full 0 to 100.

I am glad to hear not everybody foll for the multifrequency hype. As someone stated, it is best to use your own IQ and chose the tool that fit the requirements, which is not always the more expencieve one or most advertised one.

And my addvise to Daily, unless you need a specialized task machine, such as gold nugget prospector, a scuba diving detector or a deep seeker, any of the middel to high range detector would do the job just fine, starting with some "begginer" detectors such as Simplex. What you really need to decide is wheter or not you need a water proof detector or not. If so, stick with true IP68 standard (compromising to "weather" resistant machine is something you will soon regret), if not, get something with standard rechangable batteries rather than built in Li-power innovation. That is my oppinion.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread