Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
I am gonna make a frame with batt operated leds (like 8-10 of em scattered) on a dark background like black velvet and place clear and white points in front of the leds.
I;m thinking they will really stand out.
I have never tried a double sided but sounds cool. you gonna stand it somewhere or hang it somehow?
Tree

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how that would work. Most artifacts have a side that is better for display.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Good idea. Here are my thoughts - sandwiching between the glass is going to be challenging. I would think that you could back the frame with foam, cut out holes in the foam where the points go, put a dark velvet over the foam and cut holes in the velvet behind the points slightly smaller than the points and then sandwich the foam, velvet, points layers between glass. Then backlight the entire frame. Might work out well. Might not. But if it did it'd be pretty cool. Good luck.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas. I will make this my "winter" project here. That means I will have about a week in January to complete it! :laughing7:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I've seen this before with coins that were the same thickness. If you used two sheets of glass, the items would have to be very similar in thickness or some slippage will occur.

Parisdakarbmw

Sep 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fyrffytr1 said:
Has anyone ever made a frame that is glass on both sides with the points "sandwiched" in between? I would like to do some translucent points that way but don't know how to keep them in place.

Clear apoxy..... But you'll never get them out

you would have to have some form of glue, or mount point to keep them from falling right to the bottom.

Maybe just tape them to your window, and you can see them when you drive up to the house, and when your watching tv

JK

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been doing some serious pondering on this and found out that when I think I get a headache!

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
fyrffytr1!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man i was recently thinking the same thing a few months back! i found some killer translucent pieces this summer and have been wanting to do the exact same thing! i am going to use hot glue tho, because the pieces i have are non porous high grade material, it will peel right off if i want to remove them. my ex father in law is a wood worker so i am going to have him make me the wood. i am going to use 2 12 or 8in sheets of glass and a stand up wood plaque stand. lol i dont know if i described that right, but when im done i will surley show you some pictures!

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
I purchased such a frame a few years ago at a large arts/ craft and decor retailer called "Hobby Lobby". The chain of stores is similar to Michael's. The frame actually has 4 panes of glass nestled in a grooved, wooden frame. As I recall, the spaces between frames vary, allowing the display of objects of different thicknesses. If you have such a store in your area, check with them.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
docmann said:
I purchased such a frame a few years ago at a large arts/ craft and decor retailer called "Hobby Lobby". The chain of stores is similar to Michael's. The frame actually has 4 panes of glass nestled in a grooved, wooden frame. As I recall, the spaces between frames vary, allowing the display of objects of different thicknesses. If you have such a store in your area, check with them.

We do have a Hobby Lobby and I will check into this. Thanks.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one several years ago at an arrowhead show that to the best of my memory, was made with an aluminum frame with plexi glass on the back (A little more flexible than glass), white foam supporting the translucent points and a glass front. The frame also had a directional light behind it pointing towards the back of the frame but far enough away as not to over heat but close enough that if the frame was on a wide shelf you did not see the light directly (all the light came through the frame). It worked and looked good. - Just my thoughts - I'd love to see what someone builds. Good luck! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Hobby Lobby this afternoon and looked for the frame without success. Then, I asked a salesperson who said she had never seen one. I have some rough ideas floating around so as soon as winter gets here I will get to them.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
FF1,
First let me appologize for the poor quality of the attached photos. However, I did want to show you that such a frame existed. Many of the artifacts in this frame have been moved so you don't get the full potential of the frame. I actually placed a photo behind the last pane which represents the location where most of these pieces were found.

Notice there are four panes in all. If you are displaying thicker pieces, you could simply remove one or two of the inner most panes. I chose to glue points to the inner panes so to give some variation in depth. I'm actually thinking of restocking the frame and experimenting with a light source beneath the pieces or slightly in front. The pieces would no-doubt display better with a dark backing.

Nonetheless, I hope this is what you had in mind.

Incidentally, if it helps, tell the Hobby Lobby folks that the frame was purchased from one of their Oklahoma City stores, SW 89th and Western to be exact.

See ya,
Doc

Attachments

• frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 454
  • Frame5.jpg
    Frame5.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Frame6.jpg
    Frame6.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 571
  • Frame3.jpg
    Frame3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 578
  • Frame1.jpg
    Frame1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 573
OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pictures. They give me more food for thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions