Help me choose a good metal detector.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Diggin4nails

Feb 16, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Teknetics Delta 4000
I would look into the teknetics delt 4000. I started out with this machine and I loved it. It's super lite and the pinpoint function worked great. The depth of the machine was also very impressive. I learned the machine in about 4 or so hours of using it. I purchased it from Academy in my home town and it was 275 plus tax.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at the Teknetics Eurotek Pro. I haven't used one personally, but I've heard that you can't beat it for the money ($215).

OP
OP
D

Dan the Man

Greenie
Mar 28, 2014
The South
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys I'll check them out. Some of these I have already looked at but some are new. Keep the suggestions coming.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My choices given ur budget
-fisher f2 which u can get with a simple pinpointer,or with an optional xtra coil
Or I have also heard some good stuff with the
-tecknetics delta machines aswell

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi !

I will second the Eurotek PRO suggestion.

Whatever you want to choose, a good advice is to read the user manuals before you buy.

Yes, just read the manual, and you will already get a good idea about pros and cons of each machine, and how they compare for the hunts you intend to engage.

HH

Grumpy

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get a ton of different suggestions.... it really depends what you want to do with it, and your ground conditions. Assuming you want to find coins, the three mentioned are good choices. :thumbsup:

Fisher F2 - versatile entry level metal detector

If you look at the F2 be sure to check out the package with the second 4" a coil and pinpointer for only $16 more than the machine by itself.

Teknetics Eurotek Pro

The Eurotek Pro is super fast, and has adjustable iron audio - a feature usually found in md-range detectors.

Garrett Ace 350

The Ace 350 has the advantage of a DD coil, which are usually found standard on most mid-high end detectors.

Here is another choice:

Tesoro Silver uMax

They are lightweight, have a silent search all metal mode, and are 100% audio response (no display)... backked by a lifetime warranty. Don't let its simplicity and size fool you!

Hope that helps!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get a ton of different suggestions.... it really depends what you want to do with it, and your ground conditions. Assuming you want to find coins, the three mentioned are good choices. :thumbsup:

Fisher F2 - versatile entry level metal detector

If you look at the F2 be sure to check out the package with the second 4" a coil and pinpointer for only $16 more than the machine by itself.

Teknetics Eurotek Pro

The Eurotek Pro is super fast, and has adjustable iron audio - a feature usually found in md-range detectors.

Garrett Ace 350

The Ace 350 has the advantage of a DD coil, which are usually found standard on most mid-high end detectors.

Here is another choice:

Tesoro Silver uMax

They are lightweight, have a silent search all metal mode, and are 100% audio response (no display)... backked by a lifetime warranty. Don't let its simplicity and size fool you!

Hope that helps!

I will say in.my opinion you can't go wrong with fort Bedford detectors Keith is a good guy to talk to, and you'll think ur the only one he is dealing with, with the amount of effort he puts into making his customers feel great about there purchases

OP
OP
D

Dan the Man

Greenie
Mar 28, 2014
The South
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main thing I'll be looking for is coins and caches. I live in North Alabama so the ground has limestone. Dose that need mean I need a certain type of detector?

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
F2 and a decent pinpointer. You'll get into that for $300, or very close. Don't skimp and buy a cheap pinpointer, trust me.

Last edited:

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F2 and a decent pinpointer. You'll get into that for $300, or very close. Don't skimp and buy a cheap pinpointer, trust me.

Yup, that's what I did when I first stared. When I finally got the pro pointer a few months back I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To start with, keep it simple. Check Craigslist for a used Tesoro. They are simple, lightweight detectors that work well. They also have a lifetime warranty, so if it doesn't seem to work correctly, you can send it in for a tuneup. You should be able to find one within your $300 limit and you should have enough left over to get a good pinpointer.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To start with, keep it simple. Check Craigslist for a used Tesoro. They are simple, lightweight detectors that work well. They also have a lifetime warranty, so if it doesn't seem to work correctly, you can send it in for a tuneup. You should be able to find one within your $300 limit and you should have enough left over to get a good pinpointer.

U are right they do work well & if ur ok with no screen & u like the knobs a great choice they would be. Now the thing is tesoro does have that lifetime warranty but not on second hand machines if you buy any tesoro used no warranty they won't honor it only if ur the original owner

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro usually charges a flat $50 fee to fix any machines not owned by the original owner. (and thanks Christo for the kind words!)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan - Sorry I somehow missed your reply a few days ago... If you can afford to step up just a little in price, pick a machine that can ground balance. Its the key to getting better depth in most conditions. But if you can't, then any of the above should serve you well to get started.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I like Garrett products... Ace 350 would do the job. As others have said, you will want a pinpointer.... it really makes life a lot easier. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread