Help Me Decide What My First Roll(s) will be

mebegene

Greenie
Nov 7, 2009
Numb,

Do it this way...insist on the Halves! They are readily available at least were I am (DC area). I've plowed through $300,000.00 worth so far (searching 7 years). Found a Seated Liberty (1876 S), 80 Barbers and scores of Walkers, Barbers and Unc 1964s. I do understand your area might be infested with coin Nazis. :evil7: Do what ever it takes to work around these persons. Find a new bank/whatever! You get the most bang for your buck with the Halves, trust me! NEVER -EVER- take your searched coins back to the very same bank and in the best case senario, get a complete other account at a different bank and -esp. if they have Nazis- make them your dump bank. You will also find pennies to still be very fruitful...I am only able to look through about 20,000 a week (or $200.00/8 cartons). I've discovered indians and hundreds of wheats...new wheats, 1914 D wheats and 1864 L Indian Heads are what i've discovered in only 8 months of searching. Also proofs and error coins. You'll find that nickels are a bit frustrating as when you find an occasional Buffalo - the date has been rubbed away. Dime and quarters are also expensive, time consuming and produce little solid results. I mean by that to say, you CAN search them but silver dimes and quarters are much tougher to come by than the silver halves and wheat pennies. I'm trying to build an entire HAND PICKED collection of state quarters and I'm extremely close.

Lastly, if you have banks in your area that feature coin counting machines...use them for small denomination coins - but remember usually a fee (10% in most cases) are charged to non-account holders. USE 'COIN-COUNTER BANKS' HOWEVER TO OBTAIN YOUR HALVES AND DUMP THE SEARCHED HALVES ON THE BANK YOUR GET YOUR PENNIES/NICKELS/DIMES/QUARTERS FROM.

Happy hunting,
Mebe

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Halves are the only way to go. Dimes are ok but I like doing halves better.

OP
OP
comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
I really appreciate all the feedback. I bought 10 rolls of dimes (all this branch had) and a box of pennies. Dimes were a skunk. ('67D was the closest we got). The dimes were also brinks rolls, anxious to see if this makes a difference as most of the coins were newer.

My son and I are starting the pennies tonight. Unfortunately, (I think), they are all Brink's rolls, but we know for sure one roll has a '50D. We're hoping it is the first of many!

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Halves are easier and have a larger payout! Do it! Judging by your name you might be my new best friend... Pink Floyd is THE BEST! Good luck on the pennies! Dimes never pay off for me...

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i voted dimes only because you said halfs were unavailable ( which i doubt by the way) and they are the next best thing (in my opinion) here in Philly i average around i silver dime per $150 including several mercs i have found also. there's a bank or two somewhere in your area that will order halfs for you. its not like NW Missouri has left the U.S. unless what you mean is you don't have the funds to order a full box in which case you can look for handrolls and loosies, buy what you can afford, dump them, then return and start over again. also when i was starting out with low funds i found a bank that would order me a box and hold them for me, then i was able to get like $100 at a time until the box ran out, then they ordered me a new one. believe it or not i didn't even have an account with this bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread