Help me decide

cmk4425

Jul 14, 2006
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I am trying to decide on a metal detector. I am going to be mostly relic hunting in Louisiana. I am thinking about either the Fisher 1236-x2 or the minelab musketeer advantage. The last metal detector I owned was a Whites xlt and I am not looking to spend as much for another metal detector. Also whats up with these MPseries metal detectors junk or not?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both the detectors mentioned will do fine. However, if I were you, I'd check out the Tesoro line. They are superior machines with better discrimination for relics for the price.

Forget the none major name detectors. You generally get less than what you pay for.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fisher and Minelab are both great machines, but the Tesoro Cibola in that price range seems most popular for relic hunting. I have a couple Tesoros and absolutely love them... their discrimination is excellent.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have to agree for relic hunting you should look into the Tesoro line of detectors.

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also must agree from everything I've seen and heard about Tesoro you can't beat the deal. They are competitively priced and seem to be lighter than a lot of other units out there and you can't beat that lifetime warranty Tesoro offers. I have heard that the Cibola is very good for relic hunting, also it seems that the Tejon is another very good choice for relic hunters.

That is what i hear anyway. IMHO: I would look into Tesoro and see if any of those units fit the bill for you. I have been doing some research on Tesoro myself for awhile and asking many questions here on the forum about them and plan to purchase one myself here very soon.

Frisian prospector

Jul 1, 2006
The Netherlands
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq
Same here I also would say a tesoro because of his marvelous ground balance and its outstanding discrimination.
But I know nothing about the cibola, i am searching with the lobo and thats a machine with great results when you are hunting for old artefacts.
My guess, most tesoros will do the job. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread