Help me I.D. this rock Please.

Mexico

May 29, 2019
Mexico
Detector(s) used
XPointer/ P.O.S. bounty hunter pro.
Primary Interest:
Other
The black parts are slick and easy to carve into ( but still hard). The rest is like a normal rock. This is a small piece from were I found it here in Mexico. There is more but its pick and hammer time to get it. So I just knocked off this sample. It my be Onyx but i'm not sure. The size of this sample is about 4'' x 3''

Any help will be awesome. Cheers

Attachments

• 20190615_203158.jpg
    20190615_203158.jpg
    719.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 20190615_203212.jpg
    20190615_203212.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190615_203407.jpg
    20190615_203407.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 38

Lygore

Nov 7, 2012
Can you scratch it with copper wire, glass, steel nail? At what substance does it stop scratching the item you’re trying to scratch it with?
Onyx is a 7 on the Mohs scale, Nephrite Jade is 6 and Jet on the other hand can range from 2.5 to 4 (and smells like burning coal or oil when a hot needle is held to it).
So...
Onyx will be scratched by a masonry drill bit, but none of the other items listed.
Nephrite will be scratched by a steel nail or file and a masonry bit, but not the copper or glass.
As for Jet, pretty much everything might scratch it. Depending on which end of the scale it is, your fingernail could scratch it (2.5) or the steel nail (4).
Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mexico

May 29, 2019
Mexico
Detector(s) used
XPointer/ P.O.S. bounty hunter pro.
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you scratch it with copper wire, glass, steel nail? At what substance does it stop scratching the item you’re trying to scratch it with?
Onyx is a 7 on the Mohs scale, Nephrite Jade is 6 and Jet on the other hand can range from 2.5 to 4 (and smells like burning coal or oil when a hot needle is held to it).
So...
Onyx will be scratched by a masonry drill bit, but none of the other items listed.
Nephrite will be scratched by a steel nail or file and a masonry bit, but not the copper or glass.
As for Jet, pretty much everything might scratch it. Depending on which end of the scale it is, your fingernail could scratch it (2.5) or the steel nail (4).
Hope this helps!

Lygore,
The carbide drill was the only thing that scratched it. Pushing hard it only make a light mark that was white, then the white came right off just by wiping my finger on it. Also I heated up a 10 penny nail to red hot, it had no effect and did not put a mark on it. ( No smell of coal or oil) It seems harder then i was thanking and its a vary glass like when you run your finger over it. ( even the smaller pieces in the rock) Do you think I need to soak it in C.L.R. to see if the other material dissolves?

Cheers

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread