Help me identify this button

Lyricderbin

Sep 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KIMG0112.JPG KIMG0111.JPG

I found this today and searched the threads and could identify it as a police button. I would like some help putting a date to it. It is gold plated on the front and on the reverse it says WATE*WATE (second water is upside down

Upon further inspection and with the help of this link http://www.relicman.com/buttons/Button9901-Backmark-WaterburyButtonCo000 I have dated this button to be from the 1870s. On the back of this button, it has a circles made of dots on the inside and outside of the lettering. The lettering is "Waterbury Con*Waterbury Button Co*) the key is that they are separated by stars, not just dots. This helps narrow down the date even more. Thank you everybody for welcoming me to the forums!

Last edited:
Upvote 8

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Lyricderbin - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard to date - usually you have to go by the items you found around it or age of place you found at
they made them that way for years - I have a few - mine are form the 30s I think ...and welcome

OP
OP
L

Lyricderbin

Sep 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hard to date - usually you have to go by the items you found around it or age of place you found at
they made them that way for years - I have a few - mine are form the 30s I think ...and welcome

I found this link that proved very helpful in identifying these Waterbury buttons according to the back marks. This should help anyone looking to date their buttons. Even if you think you know the date. http://www.relicman.com/buttons/Button9901-Backmark-WaterburyButtonCo000

And thank you everybody for the welcoming!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE FIND NEW MEMBER

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread