Help me identify this cool rock Ive had for years

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008
Help me identify this cool rock I've had for years

So in grade school I traded my friend a baseball card (I think) for this really cool rock that he had. He failed (or possibly refused) to tell me how or where he got it but I liked it a lot and it had a number painted on to it which added to the mystery.

Anyway, I doubt he still has the baseball card, but I've somehow managed to hold on to this rock in various junk drawers for over a decade at this point. I've attached some pictures and was wondering if anyone here could help me identify exactly what it is that I've held on to for so long:

Attachments

• photo1-small.png
    photo1-small.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 639
  • photo2-small.png
    photo2-small.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 647
  • photo3-small.png
    photo3-small.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 623
  • photo4-small.png
    photo4-small.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 625

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: Help me identify this cool rock I've had for years

I'd guess cystaline lead (galina), antimony (stibnite) or one of the many metallic sulfides (pyrite, chalcopyrite, arsenopyrite, etc.). Much depends on the crystaline form. Just my guess, though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008

Tuberale said:
I'd guess cystaline lead (galina), antimony (stibnite) or one of the many metallic sulfides (pyrite, chalcopyrite, arsenopyrite, etc.). Much depends on the crystaline form. Just my guess, though.

@Tuberale, thanks for the guess. Any idea where the number came from or mean? Any details I can provide that might help identify the rock?

Upvote 0

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Tuberale said:
@Tuberale, thanks for the guess. Any idea where the number came from or mean? Any details I can provide that might help identify the rock?
The number was a reference number added by the collector to cross-reference the mineral to his personal files. That particular number is meaningful only to him.

Upvote 0

gord

Mar 30, 2005
London, ON

Rasputin said:
Tuberale said:
The number was a reference number added by the collector to cross-reference the mineral to his personal files. That particular number is meaningful only to him.
Or it's the date that it was collected.

Upvote 0

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

gord said:
Rasputin said:
Tuberale said:
Or it's the date that it was collected.
Hey--you're right! That hadn't occurred to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Argblat

Greenie
Nov 18, 2008

Thanks for all of the insights. I was especially curious about the painted on number and you have certainly shed some light on it.

Upvote 0

mjak

Feb 18, 2007

When looking at your stone I noticed two small pink crystals. The look like small Rubys to me.
The yellow stone looks like sulfar. I agree that the majority is likely one of the metalic sulfides.
I am very curious about those two pink crystals. I blew up your picture and clearly saw the pink crystals.

mjak

Upvote 0

Wild Boulder Bill

Jan 5, 2005
Now residing Waynesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, whites gtx, tesoro lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

its ore. I see a little pyrite. I don;t see any of the cubing associated with crystal galena. T he bottom picture definitly shows some of the blue associated with copper like maybe covelite. Could be galena but the way it is broke and the picture compounded with my old eyes make it hard to tell. But even my old eyes can see its ore
WBB

Upvote 0

tonesbones

Greenie
Sep 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250- My first ever!

I am currently studying at the University of California in the Geology department. The samples of minerals and rocks that we study all have a log number on them exactly like what is on yours. It was likely taken from a collection, and as was stated before, that number tells exactly where to find it within the private collection. Not likely the date it was collected as the symbols used are different from a typical dating scheme.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread