Help Me Out Here Guys

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few minutes this morning before I had to put in some quality time with the lady. Scouted out a new foundation that is the biggest I've ever seen but it's so thick that I'm gonna need a decent window of time to hunt it. I went back to the site where I found the dandy button and the colonial coppers. I found a buckle today and also what I thought for sure was a very old coin but now I'm not sure what I've got . It has either a 6 or a 9 engraved into both sides. Thinking this is going to be one of those mysteries but if anyone has any thoughts I'm all ears. I would've posted in the "what is it" but I think this gets more traffic. Thanks guys , Abe

image-4034213176.jpg

image-2006068366.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image-2944211913.jpg
    image-2944211913.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-475361935.jpg
    image-475361935.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a button, nice stuff..

Thought so too when I dug it but no shank and it's got the numbers on both sides and the don't line up. I'm stumped for sure

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To toast to tell, so this is just an (another) opinion.

It appears to have a bit of "rim" @ 3:00 in the first cleaned pic. so "may" have been a coin, with a crude counterstamp. If counterstamp is the case, it would most likely be a individual one, and never (or a very, very long shot) could be IDed.
Maybe someone with better eyes can see something else I can't, but I wouldn't hold much hope of figureing this out.
We all, and you find a lot of this kind of stuff, in this state of preseveration / decay. In my reality, reasoning it doesn't matter much what it is or was, for even the rarest of the rare, in this condition. Yes I know it is nice to know.

Again what diameter ? is it the same as other half pennies you've got ?

Abe you know me, and should know none of this meant to be rude, just an opinion on a forum, stated in advance of, and in case the over sensitive go into attack mode.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your mystery Abe, I have been in this same spot, my advise is try "what is it" weigh, measure, post

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To toast to tell, so this is just an (another) opinion. It appears to have a bit of "rim" @ 3:00 in the first cleaned pic. so "may" have been a coin, with a crude counterstamp. If counterstamp is the case, it would most likely be a individual one, and never (or a very, very long shot) could be IDed. Maybe someone with better eyes can see something else I can't, but I wouldn't hold much hope of figureing this out. We all, and you find a lot of this kind of stuff, in this state of preseveration / decay. In my reality, reasoning it doesn't matter much what it is or was, for even the rarest of the rare, in this condition. Yes I know it is nice to know. Again what diameter ? is it the same as other half pennies you've got ? Abe you know me, and should know none of this meant to be rude, just an opinion on a forum, stated in advance of, and in case the over sensitive go into attack mode.
Rick you know me my friend and I never ever get sensitive or offended. Only things that make me mad are people mistreating kids or animals or women. Beyond that it's pretty much fair game. I like people that are to the point , especially when they're just trying to help. It is in fact the same size as the 1760 HIBERNIA I found this week. So I believe you're correct and it's a counterstamed half penny. Just thought it was odd that it was done on both sides but my knowledge on this subject is zero. What was the purpose anyway? And thank you for your help.
Your NON SENSITIVE FRIEND, Abe

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your mystery Abe, I have been in this same spot, my advise is try "what is it" weigh, measure, post
I do believe counter stamped half penny is correct. I hate not knowing what something is. But that a big part of this great hobby.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost certain it's a copper coin. Measurement and weight would take the guess work out of it. Cool find Ahab, keep it up!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost certain it's a copper coin. Measurement and weight would take the guess work out of it. Cool find Ahab, keep it up!
Unfortunately I haven't bought a digital scale yet but I just compared it to the 1760 half penny I just found and it's exactly the same.
I will buy some scales soon. Obviously I could use some :-)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick you know me my friend and I never ever get sensitive or offended. Only things that make me mad are people mistreating kids or animals or women. Beyond that it's pretty much fair game. I like people that are to the point , especially when they're just trying to help. It is in fact the same size as the 1760 HIBERNIA I found this week. So I believe you're correct and it's a counterstamed half penny. Just thought it was odd that it was done on both sides but my knowledge on this subject is zero. What was the purpose anyway? And thank you for your help.
Your NON SENSITIVE FRIEND, Abe

Very hard to say it's purpose, often the purpose was advertizing, with a company name, initials, or an IDable "mark" but in this case it is probably an individual, with just a rather crude "6". As even the ones with a couple of initials are never IDed it is very unlikely you will figure this one out any more than what you know right now. And BTW being proven wrong won't bother me one bit.

Being the sun has come out I should go dig a hole myself, even if in a very pounded spot.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very hard to say it's purpose, often the purpose was advertizing, with a company name, initials, or an IDable "mark" but in this case it is probably an individual, with just a rather crude "6". As even the ones with a couple of initials are never IDed it is very unlikely you will figure this one out any more than what you know right now. And BTW being proven wrong won't bother me one bit. Being the sun has come out I should go dig a hole myself, even if in a very pounded spot.
You should go dig buddy! Always makes me feel better. Thanks for the help. I think there was a little fishing camp or something down in my site. This stuff is all earlier than recorded occupation. It also looks like there was a ferry landing on the point at some time. Interesting place

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah looks like a coin, and as you guessed, this is going to fall into the mystery category. I have quite a few counterstamped coin finds and more have no answer than ones that do. I've always liked them a lot though.

Rick... stop being such a p___k. LOLOLOLOL

PS: Had my first hunt today and would have gladly taken that copper over what I got.... or guess you'd say, didn't get!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah looks like a coin, and as you guessed, this is going to fall into the mystery category. I have quite a few counterstamped coin finds and more have no answer than ones that do. I've always liked them a lot though. Rick... stop being such a p___k. LOLOLOLOL PS: Had my first hunt today and would have gladly taken that copper over what I got.... or guess you'd say, didn't get!
We know you'll be making great finds in no time. How's the conditions up there right now?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We know you'll be making great finds in no time. How's the conditions up there right now?

Actually better than expected. We got to hit the field we wanted to with no problem, and then others were hit and miss... but by next weekend I'd say it will be pretty close to business as usual. It's more a matter of where to go because after pounding field after field for 13 years finding sites sort of feels like a bad case of writers block.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually better than expected. We got to hit the field we wanted to with no problem, and then others were hit and miss... but by next weekend I'd say it will be pretty close to business as usual. It's more a matter of where to go because after pounding field after field for 13 years finding sites sort of feels like a bad case of writers block.
Yeah I'm sure that's not easy. I wonder how many of the sites I've got lined up have been hunted. Won't know until I try and some of them were very hard to find through lots of obscure research material. Not you everyday google searches. I also have one permission that I know hasn't been hunted. Very excited to get back there.
Well bud I hope you find a productive site soon. I know it's reinvigorating to hit a few nice finds. Always makes me feel better

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm sure that's not easy. I wonder how many of the sites I've got lined up have been hunted. Won't know until I try and some of them were very hard to find through lots of obscure research material. Not you everyday google searches. I also have one permission that I know hasn't been hunted. Very excited to get back there.
Well bud I hope you find a productive site soon. I know it's reinvigorating to hit a few nice finds. Always makes me feel better

whatever happens, happens. The ground doesn't really owe me anything! :)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Rick's idea about the rim at 3:00 , ( "good eye mate" ) diameter and weight might be all you get here - I like 6 for this better than
9 - Nice old site , cant wait to see what else you get out of there .

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could you PM you this as a scale is always a good idea / investment, and a good idea as others have suggested, for 20 bucks ?, but also keep in mind that weight is not accurate on found coppers, as at least some have lost 50% or more due to corrosion, you know the ones that are totally toasted, and "sharp" on the edges, they may have lost 66% of their weight.

That said a scale is still a good/valueable, and very good thing to have, I couldn't live without one. I often take coins in on trade

gman7665

Mar 1, 2013
Campville New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats interesting , Def. looks like it has the Thickness of a L.C. , Buttons are thinner looking normally. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread