help me out here

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
normally I am pretty good at recognizing PNW and Columbia River artifacts but I must admit this one is getting to me a bit. It is a bit over three inches long, a nice purple jasper, very well flaked...not at all random. My initial thought was knife but the flaking really looks more transitional to me so....maybe a Lind Coulee but that just seems a bit off too. I was also thinking Parman but the base stem seems pretty short for either one. I would appreciate some more hats in the ring with this one....thanks.

Attachments

• IMG952038 (1).jpg
    IMG952038 (1).jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 219
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will PM you my address I think I know but will have to hold it to be sure ;)

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
...well ok, how about this...if you found this point in your area, what era would you put it in?...that will help too.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a dead ringer for the Allendale points we find in Georgia, but they are a local point in Ga. and South Carolina.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but it's a nice find for sure.

In the book I have so many shapes are so much alike, I'm not sure everything can fit into a specific type.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda favors a Guilford, just not from your area

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have a clue. Sure, it's nice to know the type, age, culture, etc. but sometimes, you just have to be happy that you found a great point, and that one's a beaut.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I can see, it looks to have an unusual base finish? It looks like it might have had a more expanded base, that has been intentionally "clipped" on each side, leaving only a slightly knobby base. If it were found out here on the Delmarva, I would probably place it in the middle to late archaic, after the Kirk stemmed points, and before the Lamoka stemmed points, although from what I understand western stemmed points can be much older than eastern stemmed. It looks to be very well made, and maybe a thick and strong type. Got any more photos ?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
no more photos at the moment...my buddy found it with me and he nearly wet himself when he did. This was his first point (at the age of 50)...i will get more photos next weekend when I head back down there. Thanks for the responses, y'all are placing it in age right where I do...my initial thought was in the BP3,000 range but I didn't want to eliminate early archaic until I pondered a bit.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take a stab at it for you on the period date by the flaking I can see. There is a long strike that goes all the way across it towards the base so if I had found it I would say Archaic. Most of the ones I find with that type of flaking are in the Middle to Late period. Id have to see both sides to narrow it down further.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
thanks for the responses, i was thinking the flaking would help date it.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the responses, i was thinking the flaking would help date it.

Its funny 9 times out of 10 I can tell you the period by the flaking but I cant tell you the type. Nice material

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread