help me out plz ?

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
FIRST METAL DETECTOR,GARRETT ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello everyone,iv been detecting for a month now but i really need help, the ONLY!!! things i found are nails!! and pool tabs!!, I do the best research i can, i use historicaerials.com, and historicmapworks.com but they are not detailed at all and there just isnt many historic maps for lincoln city oregon where i live i could really use some help ppl i havent even found any modern coins plz help if ya can thanks

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you havent, put out some coins out of your pocket and some other objects and move your detector over them.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put your detector down. Now pick up your owners manual and read it again - twice. Now go to your local library. Tell the librarian that you want to research old Fair and Rodeo grounds and Racetracks in your area, and perhaps old stage coach stops and saloons. Think OUTSIDE the box, and back in time. ? If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950). You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your machine. Good Luck!

A Few Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have done the coin test the air test and every other test the detector works good,just not finding stuff in my hunts ,thats pretty sad i know

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sad at all. It just speaks volumes about how hard it is to find the old silver. I went almost 2 years without finding anything old until the last couple weeks. I found an old brass button last week and a 1930's oklahoma tax check token today. If it was that easy to find the good stuff we wouldnt be able to find such good deals on used metal detectors on craigs list lol.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be hunting the ace series....they love junk i had a real problem with bottle caps and rusty iron with mine...go for clean signals when it bounces to iron and then quarter dime i call that an iffy signal unless im somewhere really good i pass on digging them....hunting clad is the easy part there almost all shallow 2-4 inch targets that give crisp reads....when you get down to the older wheats and indians at 6 + inches thats when you better know how to use your machine..

Last edited:

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.............. I'll tell you what to do. Take notes. Write this down "showmystreet" put those words in your computer, and a site will come up. Type in your address and a street view will come up from in front of your house. Click on the right top of the page, and an aerial view will replace the street level view. Now hunt your neighborhood for !. Elememtry Schools, with grass in the front of the school. That grass will be full of coins, if no one else has hunted it before. Elementry Schools because the younger the kids, the more money they lose. 2. Buss stops, look for buss stops where there is grass. Elementry schools and buss stop grassy areas athe the most fruitful areas for dropped, lost coins. Where I live, the buss stops have benches, and if there is any grass behind the benchs, there will be plenty of coins. Do those two things, and report back Sunday night. Oh, and by the way, hunt the schools only on weekends or holidays, when the kiddies are not around. Another thing, when ever your out driving your car, always keep an eye out for places where people hang out. And, think "outside the box" whey your out metal detecting. I have been to parks where coins are had to find. But when I detected the grassy areas between the sidewalk and the curbs, I do quite well, no one else thinks of those places, they just go running off into the park and hunt where everyone else hunts. One more thing, when you do find a coin, s l o w d o w n. Hunt slow, and over lap your swings, and never get in a hurry, thats when you miss coins. There, I gave you all my secrets. Actually, I'll give you one more secret. This Saturday, drive around until you see a yard sale. Older neighborhoods are better. Stop and buy something for a dollar. Then say " Would you mind if I metal detected your yard to see if I can find any treasures you may have lost. Add, "last Saturday, I did a house over a couple of blocks and found $4.00, some Wheat pennies, and ring. Add "you would be supprised what I find in peoples front yards". OK, best advise of all, if you live in a house with a yard thats at least 20 years old, practice in your own yard. I have been mding for 10 months now, and I still keep finding stuff in my 23 yo yard, because I get a lot of practice there. When your in your own front yard, you can g o s l o w, take your time, and dig every signal and learn your maching well.

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zag....... I just typed in showmystreet, and when the site came up, I typed in "Lincoln City, Oregon, and walla, your town came up, and I looked around and in two minutes found two elementry schools with lots of grass out front of the school. There's plenty of coins in that grass. Looking for historical sites, is ok, but I would think for pro's, not novices. I see your town has lots of houses with parkways too, you know, the street, and the curb, some grass, and then the sidewalk. That grass will hold coins. If the houses were built in the 50's or before, there will be some front yards full of coins. Just yesterday, I found 18 wheat pennies, 61 copper pennies, 3 silver coins, plus about $4.00 in clad. That was two houses side by side that were built in the 50's. JUST MAKE SURE YOU FILL YOUR HOLES. Try to make it look like you were never there when you look behind you. Good luck

OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for yopur response i went out to a new spot and found some mexican paeso's and a 1945 dime, im starting to get the ideia now

OP
OP
zag

zag

Feb 3, 2013
lincoln city,OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info i put it to good use i found 1945 dime and some mexican paeso's ,thanks for takeing the time to comment

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my uncle uses an ace 2 fiddy he loves the thing
he goes and searches every were with it
he found over a 170.00 bucks
plus a 5 gal bucket of crusher copper
he is very happy not to Digg past 6 inches.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread