Help me out with headphones please!

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to MDing but after only 8 hours detecting since june 1 I know this is going to be a keeper hobby!I have read some talk about headphones and how you don't have to spend big bucks on a set I have also heard about how much it will help detecting deep signals and save battery life.And I have read about not all phones will work on all detectors.
So,I guess my questions are how do I find out what phones will work with my detector?What phones will be "good enough" without spending a lot of money and where to buy from?
I am using a white's 4900 dl pro/plus. I have not contacted white's 'cause I'm sure they will want to sell me their equipment.I will probably buy off amazon or similar site.
Thanks in advance! Please feel free to comment on other things I may not have mentioned.

Wade

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wade I use Black Widow from Detector Pro.DetectorPro professional underwater metal detectors and accessories They aren't to expensive but built to last a lifetime. They make other models too with different features. Black Widow headphones.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use Black Widows also,I have to change the pads at least once a year,they get very stiff from sweat.10.00 a pop.

What ever you end up with high impedance plays a big roll!

Sure hope you score it big..............SOON Wade!!:laughing7:

GOD Bless

Chris

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunray Gold Pro headphones are another great set that will work on your detector. White's also has some good headphones if your budget doesn't have room for the sets mentioned above.

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love Killer B headphones. Unlike most, they use leather ear pads and not cheap material that must be replaced every year. Super quality with excellent sound. If you are on a budget just getting going. Get a set of Koss qz 99 headphones. Very good sound, good quality and you can get them for $38-$40. Nothing in that price range comes close!!!

Last edited:

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
The black widow headphones for my mxt pro work dam good ,and they would work for a lot of metal detectors. the black widow are not cheap but, they are worth the money. That's my two cent.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones?..What are those again?..lol...After my first summer hunting in Texas, I stopped wearing them. I can hear my machine just fine without them....oh course unless Im near the highway or something

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
+1 on teh SunRay Golds, but I am sure any quality headphone made for MDing would be fine.

I highly reccommend headphones because you want to hear the target response of your detector.

Amazing how much detail is in the sound.

Backstrap80

May 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think* it matters on the machine you have. I have hearing loss in my right ear from unprotected pistol shooting and the duck blind etc, I have an MXT that came with KOSS headphones and that thing dang near blew my eardrums out with the overload blare. I then got a pair of KOSS noise reductions and they work great with the MXT. For my Xterra 705 I'm going with the black widows for the loudness. There's also UGA's (unity Gain Amps) I'm gonna get one of these for the 705, It's An inline amp w it's own power supply so if the machine has volume control, you can turn it to 1 and use the Amp. I wish I had the knowledge to explain ohm or kilowatt importance but I dont, I do know that the higher the number the better. Maybe it's hurtz... I forget. It's hard to get detailed headphone info as it is how the 30 year veteran hunters find what we left ;). Maybe join a local club and try some. The KOSS on the MXT are $100 I currently run a $20 pair of Garret's on the 705 and prefer them over the higher priced KOSS but, the MXT is not a Tone machine... Good luck. If you happen to find out WHY and What earphones will work well, please PM me.

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use the Whites pro stars because of the lifetime warranty. They are awesome

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello 1shotwade.
I absolutely hate headphones, but at times they are necessary.
Earlier this year, I finally got an ETrac. The Koss UR-30 headphones that came w it ain't much to speak of. No controls and loose on head. Also included w ETrac purchase was a set of JollyRogers headphones. They have dual volume controls and switches. They knock out so much ambient noise I barely hear my footsteps in leaves. Fairly inexpensive too.
GL
Peace

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gray ghoast
or a stock whites head phones....

liftloop

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are throwing high price head phones at him and i think he said not cost big bucks...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Headphones?..What are those again?..lol...After my first summer hunting in Texas, I stopped wearing them. I can hear my machine just fine without them....oh course unless Im near the highway or something
Like ..Diggin-N-Dumps .. here i very seldom use head phones . And i find a lot of items and i do not think i miss to much … I do not like head phones .. But that is my idea on head phones some love them and some like me do not care for them..It is all up to what you like..

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO - Gray Ghosts, Killer Bees, Sunrays etc. are all good headphones, but not necessarily in the less expensive range. However, having used 19.95 cheapies I prefer the better phones many times over. The sound is better and the construction is of a higher quality. Normally you're only going to buy one set so in my opinion it is worth the money to buy the better quality the first time. My two bits.
luvsduc

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
The Koss QZ99 standard or the Koss Q5 behind the head strap passive noise reduction detector specific headphones. The best headphones dollar for dollar tuff as nails and compete with all the high end headphones mentioned and very comfy. They have a lifetime guarantee and run between $38.00 to $45.00 a set on Amazon and other web dealers. They are top notch headphones give them a look you will not be disappointed. The only draw back is they are full size headphones this is no big deal to me and they are single volume with notch intents on the volume control again no big deal to me having a single volume. So if you want duel volume controls on each ear muff you would need to look elsewhere.

The Koss QZ99 and the Q5 headphones are one of my personal favorites (I have a pair of each model) over killer Bee and some of the other models mentioned. The only headphones I like better are the Jimmy Sierra newer model Maxiphone III headphones made by Detector Pro not the older Maxiphone II model headphones (the Maxiphone III headphones have diffrent lower frequency speakers in them, I love the tone) But these headphones cost 2 times more than the Koss headphones mentioned above at $119.00 I picked up a pair on sale at $98.00 at my local dealer.

Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
Like ..Diggin-N-Dumps .. here i very seldom use head phones . And i find a lot of items and i do not think i miss to much … I do not like head phones .. But that is my idea on head phones some love them and some like me do not care for them..It is all up to what you like..

No offence meant... And with all due respect, trust me your missing good deeper targets.

Happy Hunting, :occasion14:
Bill G

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to headphones you get what you pay for. I would look for a used set of Gray Ghosts, Rat, Killer Bees, Jolly Rogers or set of Koss...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread