Help me pick a new machine

SilverStrike82

Apr 27, 2009
Fresno, CA
Hello all! I am in need of some helpful advice regarding the purchase of a new metal detector. I have been using both a Minelab X-Terra70 & a Tesoro Supertraq for about a year now. My biggest concerns, finding a machine with a better depth capabilities in heavy mineralized ground and/or heavy trash....seeing how that's the ground I'm working with most.

I'm beginning to think I am looking for a machine that doesn't exist. I have been doing a lot of research on the Omega 8000 - but my biggest fear is the machine won't be getting the depth that I'm looking for in the bad ground we have here in the San Joaquin Valley. Price isn't really the issue a or concern....it's finding a machine I'm going to be happy with. If anyone has any suggestions, pros/cons of machines.....seeing how I can't test machines out prior to purchase, I hope I can get some help from fellow MDer's on their success and frustrations. I am a turf hunter primarily, but do occasionally hit the beach.

The machines I have been researching are:

Teknetics Omega 8000
Minelab Safari
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Whites V3i

I understand that last two are more expensive, but I really want a machine that will handle the bad ground conditions here in the Valley, and still be able to pull coins from 7" deep. I would like to stay away from the excessively chattery machines like the Fisher F75 and Tesoro Tejon. I would be grateful for any information or insight that you guys might have. Any users of the aforementioned machines please chime in with your opinions.

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might take a serious look at the Minelab Sov. GT, this is a super machine that's capable of handling most any situation you can throw at it. You might also consider a second smaller search coil, say a quality 4 or 5 inch coil. With this setup I can't think of any situation you won't be able to handle while still hunting deep, even with the smaller coil.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll have to second the Sovereign GT. We don't have mineralzed ground in too many places here in Florida. But the GT is supposed to handle it well.

I just got the GT and I'm very impressed by the depth so far.

You can also add a WOT coil for a little extra depth when you have the funds.

Check out some of the posts on the Sovereign for a better idea. I have only found one person who didn't like it because of the tones. Everone else refuses to part with theirs.

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
She should also mention that her boyfriend uses a Minelab E-trac....and that she is tired of him getting all of the goodies ;D.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was a GTI 1500 and I did ok, but thought there might be something better, so bought an Explorer in about 2000. Used that and thought, I wonder how other detectors and brands would stack up... so I went through a bunch only to realize none would compare to what the explorer could do for me at the old sites I hunt. So the SE would definitely be my choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread