Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Need some help with what all the letters mean ?Thank you picture or video.jpg

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
You have got to be kidding me, where did you find this? This is a great artifact.

Is the picture reversed? Are you trying to say that this is the stamp on an ingot?

Last edited:

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It's an early Spanish silver or gold tax stamp from the Mexico mint. Please tell me more and maybe I can tell you more.

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
its silver----its kinda of a long story about how the spanish came to America & stole the gold & resources from the indians in the 1500s.They would take it all to Vera cruz & melt it? & then back to Span? It dates to around 1550 i think

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It's an early Mexico mint tax stamp. It has the Hapsburgh eagle on the top of it and the first pillar set. I think this shows up on some of the ingots that are in the Spanish treasure exhibit in Havana, cuba. There may also have been a few found on the golden fleece wreck. Anyway, I have seen it before. The oM at the bottom is the Mexico City mint assay mark.

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thanks Cuzco-do you know what/or who the mans head is under the arch that go's from pillar to pillar?

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It's hard to say. I think the Cortez family used a coat of arms with an indian slave on it. I know at their house in Spain, there are slaves holding up the corners, cut into the columns. It's more likely bound to be something like that than a picture of one of the King Phillips.

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
so you think when cortez would steal the goods -he would put his stamp on them so he would get credit for it when it got back to span?

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I can't attribute the head right off. This kind of stuff comes and goes, I probably just saw the picture same as you and read the caption underneath it.

If that other object is made of brass, it may be a guidon mount of some kind from England. If you rotate in about 20 degrees you will see the Staffordshire knot on top of a pillar, I think.

GG.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its silver----its kinda of a long story about how the spanish came to America & stole the gold & resources from the indians in the 1500s.They would take it all to Vera cruz & melt it? & then back to Span? It dates to around 1550 i think

It's to tell anything about this from the original picture. Surely you can post something cleaner and with more detail.

As for the Spaniards in America, they smelted the gold and silver right here. It's much easier to transport ingots than raw materials.

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Its a splash ingot from the 1500s the pictures get no better..I needed some help with the letters & their meanings

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
Two definitive reference works (if you are serious about researching this subject) include:

Tumbaga Silver for Emperor Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire, by Douglas Armstrong

Spanish Treasure Bars From New World Shipwrecks, by Alan K. Craig & Ernest J. Richards, Jr.

Stan

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is this what you call the View attachment 684268 Staffordshire knot on top of these pillars?
Cuzcosquirrel is spot on , Spanish tax stamp from Mexico, I have never seen a head with the pillars ? Should try to make a mould using plaster or Paris.
The Picture depicts the Plus Ultra ( More and Beyond ) The Pillars of Hercules, one in Ceuta and one on Gibraltar, This is the gate way to the new world, with the Galleon and the kings crest, They are king and queens crowns on top of the
pillars.
PS Hi Stan, hope you are well.
Ossy

OP
OP
RELICDUDE07

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Cuzcosquirrel is spot on , Spanish tax stamp from Mexico, I have never seen a head with the pillars ? Should try to make a mould using plaster or Paris.
The Picture depicts the Plus Ultra ( More and Beyond ) The Pillars of Hercules, one in Ceuta and one on Gibraltar, This is the gate way to the new world, with the Galleon and the kings crest, They are king and queens crowns on top of the
pillars.
PS Hi Stan, hope you are well.
Ossy
THanks guys-Great info!!!!!....I found a artifact years ago i thought was a button die,now i know it was a splash ingot die ,they would strike it with a hammer....Love it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread