HELP ME...

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of people don't want to admit that they are ignorant to something that they are already doing. Including myself.
I don't have much dredge experience at all. Retention is my main concern given my geography.
I had a crash box 2 inch dredge banker combo with power jet.
I have sold my equipment and am now looking to get something else. I have the opportunity to understand better and make a more informed purchase and hopefully do it correctly.
I am now looking to purchase another piece of equipment but I am stuck and hope I can get some suggestions or maybe someone may mention something I haven't thought about.
this is always going to be a hobby for me. The gold here is mostly fine/flake with the occasional picker or nugget.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you may want to look into a Gold Cube with the Gold banker attachment. 750GPH12v bilge pump for just the GC and a 1000 GPH 12v bilge pump for the Gold Banker attachment. the Gold Cube needs to be screened down and the Gold Banker does its own screening.itll save the finest gold! i have one and i love its speed and its ability to save the finest gold in the first Vortex mat and maybe a few specks in the second mat.veiw them at any gpaa gold show! they work!you casn veiw the action on www.goldcube.net and i donr have anything to do with this business! i, just a happy owner of one!

Last edited:

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could have only 1 dredge I would buy a 3''.
I prefer Proline dredges because they are built simple and strong.You can add air and dredge deeper if you want too.
Once and done! Wes

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bigger is always better, ask any woman! With that being said...I personally would do the 3" as the more material you run the more gold you get! As for recovery, until you move into the intermediate size or larger dredges, your stuck with a single sluice and don't get the fine gold recovery of an over/under sluice.

rockygulchJoe

Jan 5, 2013
2020hindesite, you say all you have used is a 2" whith a power jet. My first dredge was a 2" keene backpack dredge whith a power jet. I don't no about you but plug- ups in the jet we're a constant problem, to me a two inch is only good for cleaning cracks in exposed bedrock (sniping). Also I think a suction nozzle is good for more than just better recovery in a small dredge. You also don't get the plug ups in the jet that have to be rammed, plug ups will be in the nozzle or hose, plus you can work a suction nozzle in very shallow water, and a suction nozzle will not lose it's prime when lifted out of the water, and send water blasting thru your sluice box like a power jet will.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished a 2 1/2" keene dredge retrofit to a barrel bs. The flare and extended curtain sure helps,the 3.5 hp sips gas like a lady and the blaster nozzle is a good'n. I do like Proline better. I always say 2 1/2" is the smallest to run BUT when bakpakn' even they are a ouch,use a stand/inflatable floats. Go for price and availability and much more importantly HAVE FUN and NEVER mine with nuttn' without a blaster nozzle-John

OP
OP

2020hindsite

May 28, 2013
Free
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few things. Is a "blaster nozzle" a suction nozzle?
I see alot of people talking about an over under sluice. what is it exactly?
can i boost retention ( or how good ) is retention on the 3 inch Keene assuming I learn what im doing.
last occasionally I see people using a hose to blow out crackes and suck it up with the nozzle. how are they feeding this garden hose? off the dredge or are they using a separate pump?

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

» Double-screen Classification System in Dredging
sluice41.gif

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dredge pumps have a take off port on the side to hook a hose up to so you use a garden hose and can build a blaster nozzle for less the 15 bucks.
A over under sluice is basically a sluice with another sluice built into the bottom. You need a bigger pump for more water and a bigger sluice for that. Look at keene's 3 stage sluice and do away with stage one and then you have a o/u sluice.

Here's the blaster I made..works great as I can use it to pry up loose bedrock or as a small tapping device to open up bedrock. Once the tip is ruined the another buck I can replace it.

IMG_20130717_233009.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
on my 4 inch dredge i take my hipressure water for my blaster hose off the 2 inch output of the pump. the suction nozzel im makeing now will pull the hipressure water from right off the suction nozzel. 2020hindsight,that garden hose your refering to is the blaster hose. it blasts crevices to help remove the material so you can suck it up! the asseory port on the pump dosent give enough PSI for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions