Help: military dog tag

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone I found this dog tag a couple weeks ago metal detecting in a local park & would like to return it if possible. How does one go about getting some info needed to help in identifying & returning? Alls I seem to find is mail to Department of Defense. I believe he was in the air force & had a tetanus shot in 65. I think its maybe Vietnam era. Thanks.
20230526_204257.jpg

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
His service number shows that he was "Regular Air Force Enlisted"--as was I in 1963.
In what town and state was the tag found?
Don
Nearest major city's within 100miles is Wichita, Topeka, Kansas City, Leavenworth. Also a big catholic church in St. Marys.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
I searched Google and found...

According to The American War Library, found dog tags are NOT the property of the finder or the person identified on the tags. The dog tags still belong to the U.S. government. By law, all found military items must be immediately mailed to the Secretary of Defense. Please following these procedures:

Write on a piece of paper where you found the tags, the date you found the tags, your full name and contact information.

Place the letter and dog tags into an envelope.

Seal the envelope and address it to the Secretary of Defense. The address is: 1400 Defense Pentagon Washington, DC 20301-1400. Include your return address on the envelope.

Take the envelope to the Post Office to be weighed so you can pay the postage and mail it.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd be bumped off TNet if I expressed my opinion here of what I think of the American War Library's legal opinion regarding returning service tags. Would the government go through what I experienced in returning two tags; one to the daughter of a WW II soldier who participated in the Normandy invasion and the other to a soldier who lost his tag during the Battle of the Bulge? As to the second tag, the Post Commander of the American Legion in the soldier's area and I created a special ceremony for the return of his tag.
Answer: Probably not a chance.
Don in SoCal.
(USAF '63-'69)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from HELP! over to TOKENS & TAGS for more exposure.
tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum HELP! contains guides tutorials on how to use the new TreasureNet.com software.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions