Help needed 1840's School

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that owns land where a 1840's school used to be. The foundation stones have been pushed into a pile at one end. At some time slag has been dumped into the drive. The land owner now did not move the stones nor dump the slag. Trying to locate anything is near to impossible. Do i keep trying or lick my wounds and move on ? Any hints greatly appreciated !!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Had an area that I researched last year, only to find out when I got there that it was slagville. You said it best,"Trying to locate anything is near to impossible." You can try moving as far away from the drive as you can, and work towards it. Lick your wounds on the drive, but I would hunt the rest of the property! Good Luck:icon_thumleft:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the location of a school from the 1840s and all I found was square nails. They most likely threw every nail on the ground when they leveled the structure. I got to thinking, nobody lost any coins there because they didn't have any to lose!

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I have the same idea . I was just hoping someone had some better ideas

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don very little information is available most do not know of it. I found it on a 1800's plat map and then talked to the property owner

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Back then kids didn't have coins to carry. no school lunches to buy.
Your best bet is check that map and try to orient the front of the school house and go from there.
Most of the "playgrounds" were to the back.
Also look for outhouses. They will be where you will find your best treasures.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There are machines which will function in slag. In the early 80's I was swinging the Garrett Deepseeker ADSIII in a Monroe, MI park, and there was an area I just couldn't go into with it. Then the Fisher 1260X came out. I went right into that slag and my first target was a walking liberty half. I don't know what to recommend to you in today's machines, but the 1260X and 1265X walked right through massive amounts of nails to find coins. The Tesoro Tejon will do it as well, but you have to pay attention to the sounds. Most iron I've experienced gave repeatable signals, but with a break in the sound - where a coin is "solid" in two directions.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the slag sounds like a super challenge, I haven't used the program that Calabash was using enough to know anything. the bigger slag can be really rough. I like the idea of locating where the outhouses had been if you can, always potential around them. that site should be modern trash free for the most part. I wish you the best luck in figuring it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread