DerekR

May 18, 2014
Lower Peninsula Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro with DD Coil
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II "Retired"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help, I am new to cache hunting, and I was wondering if its any different then Geo-caching?

I do understand Geo-caching you don't get to keep the treasure you find. I hear the tressure you find is cheap really cheap in geo caching.

I am not going to waste my energy in some dollar tree store finds.

So is caching different?

Or is it the same minus the word geo?

Thank you Derek.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a big difference in geo-cache hunting *where x marks the spot* and actual cache hunting. I suggest you read the threads in our Cache hunting section and you'll see the difference. A real cache is something someone hid and they most definitely did not want someone to find ;)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help, I am new to cache hunting, and I was wondering if its any different then Geo-caching?

I do understand Geo-caching you don't get to keep the treasure you find. I hear the tressure you find is cheap really cheap in geo caching.

I am not going to waste my energy in some dollar tree store finds.

So is caching different?

Or is it the same minus the word geo?

Thank you Derek.

???

OP
OP
DerekR

DerekR

May 18, 2014
Lower Peninsula Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro with DD Coil
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II "Retired"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a big difference in geo-cache hunting *where x marks the spot* and actual cache hunting. I suggest you read the threads in our Cache hunting section and you'll see the difference. A real cache is something someone hid and they most definitely did not want someone to find ;)
Thank you sir, Any good threads you would recommend?

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I Geo-cache all the time. Its just done for good outdoor fun and exercise, even the dog enjoys it with us. Sometimes we meet up with local geo-cache groups for picnics and challenge events. Hint, when we geo-cache, I find bottle dumps and good places to detect to go back to later. I keep my eyes open for good sites in the deep woods.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache hunting is harder and on a whole other level. A lot more stuff is involved.
Like DDancer said, go back thru the cache threads, this page and back pages, tons of info.
There are books on it if you can locate them.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Geo-Caching is a game where the location coordinates are given and you go out using a gps and locate it. Take something to trade. You can swap out something in the Geo-cache for something you brought. There is also a list of finders that you can sign.

Cache hunting is done for recreation and profit. You pick up on a promising story. Then you authenticate as many facts in the story as you can, like did the cache really exist, did the cachier really exist and in the right time frame, does the supposed location area really exist, etc,etc,etc.
The first stage entails this research and the second stage is all boots on ground work. I have spent over a year on research of some caches, but never more than 2 weeks boots on ground. Two weeks there will tell you if it is fact or fantasy and if you think it can be found or has been found.
Well, that's my take on this subject. Others may have there own system. Frank...-
111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no one thread in particular. Frank's statement is true in that everyone develops their own techniques. Research and recovery are what it really boils down to for some. For others its applied deduction in the field and a bit of luck for sniffing out cache's. Age of an area is a big factor in both however using the research method can yield newer discoveries. Or just plain old peeping on your neighbors as they dig holes at night ;) not recommended as said neighbors might take offence.

I've never felt inclined to geo-cache hunt but have read on it. I've also spoke with family and friends who do a bit of it. For them its a way to get out of the house. Seems more than a few of these cache's are actually located in area's that are pretty, interesting or pretty interesting so making the trail to the cache for them has other rewards. That there may be a trinket for a reward... really just a token for them and the next guy to say "We were here too.".... is just a bit of a bonus from what I understand of it.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to Geo-Cache with the kids little and we had some fun! The most fun we ever had was what I termed "metro" caching (geocaching in town). People thought we were insane wandering around parking lots and such with handheld GPS and iPhones in hand. It was a blast to say the least, but yes it's all dollar store junk for the most part.

Real cache hunting is a whole other ball game. Hard work with few playoffs from what I read, but I am no dedicated cache hunter like some on here, but would search for any if I ever got a lead on one.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well this thread reminded me of a cache hunt from many years back. It was a cave cache in, how should I put it, the area of Death Valley. It took several days to locate the cave. I entered the cave, narrow, but walk in. My first flash light bulb burned out immediately. I switched on my second. I was about 20' down the cave which had a very bad smell and began having problems with my flashlight flickering. I was also hearing grunting type sounds from deep in the cave. I made a decision to abort the search, but left one of my cards with a note. The second flashlight died about 5 ' from the entrance. About 2 years later I got a letter from a couple who were young cache hunters. They said they had spent a day searching the cave and only came up with my card and some foul smelling bear droppings. They were just curious as to if I had found the cache. I sent them a reply stating that they had found more than I had.. lol
Frank...- 6 06-2 YELLOWSTONE 035-1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions