Help needed. What could it be if not a meteor?

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First the story. Eight years ago a man used a trench digger to lay a plastic water line. He had it rented out and was trying to get done in one day. In the middle of the night he hit something he could not cut through. So he raised the digger a little ways and continued on. When he took the digger back the guy was mad that the carbide teeth were completely rounded. That is the very short version of what happen.

I heard the story and began to inquire about it. 1. There are no lines that had been laid on this section of land it has been checked. 2. I used a two box detector and thought I found it. It was a false alarm. 3. We know he hit this object 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 ft. deep. It would not move. 4. We located the water line but it is one and a half miles long. What is the next step? The spot I thought was it gave a signal the phone app that I had for EMT picked up a reading. We dug 5ft down and found nothing but the plastic line at 3 1/2ft.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Burdie

Last edited:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
If the object is large enough to erode the carbide teeth on the digger, it should also have a magnetic signature. In other words, walking with a sensitive compass near the site should have the compass go, uh, haywire. Compass should point towards magnetic north. But a large mass of iron or iron and nickel would also affect a good compass from several feet away. BTW, when a compass does not point toward magnetic north, it is called a "magnetic anomoly." This can be caused by a mass of metal, usually iron, nearby. Or it could be an indication of a meteorite. Magnetometers are based on magnetic anomolies.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Burdie, I have two Spanish Dip Needles. They do the "compass" thing Tube referred to but they are MADE for such a thing. Walk the line with the SDN to find the rock... if it has iron content, and probably does. Wanna use one?? TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread